Upgrading Retrospect HELP!

We have recently upgraded our archive system from LTO3 to LTO5.

We have been running Retrospect 6, and have now upgraded to Retrospect 9.

I was under the impression everything would be backward compatible, and that the upgrade would be painless.

After spending the $$ I'm now being told I have to re-catalogue every tape using Retrospect 9 for it to be able to read my old backup sets made with version 6.

Can anyone confirm this? Seems like an awfully illogical step for Retrospect to take. I'm really hoping I'm wrong...

Many thanks for any feedback on this...

Steve

Yes. This is required. As with other transitions from old formats, the old tapes/sets are read-only. This transition (6.x --> 8/9)also requires re-cataloging the set(s).

In theory, simply knowing that you can read the old sets is sufficient. I write a lot of tapes that are *never* read. It is the rare case when I have to dig one up and use it. Vital, but fairly rare.

To me, the badness here is that you effectively have to read the backup tape twice to do a restore. It's a pain, but not fatal, IMO.

I'm actually going through my tapes and re-cataloging, and converting to retro 9 because retro 9 allows me to "distill" my old backups into single mega-backup sets that take a fraction of the old space by virtue of not re-duplicating the duplicate files when I copy multiple monthly sets into one yearly set.

I love being able to do more than one thing at a time w/ retro 9.

Yes, Retro 9 has warts. There are bugs to fix, but all in all, it is well worth the time, money, and effort.

• Like 1

Yes. This is required.

While this is true, you might prefer just to keep your old 6.1 setup around for the times you need to restore the old data. You might even find, as we did, that although Retro 6.1 is unsupported in OS versions beyond 10.5.x, it actually may run well enough on your new hardware and OS to be able to perform restores.

I was under the impression everything would be...

After spending the $$ I'm now being told...

This part always intrigues me; what gave you the impression you had before parting with the money, and why weren't you told until after?

Or put another way, does he still work for you?