Retrospect 8.2.0 (399) not responding

rhegyi

Hello:

I hope this is something I've done wrong. I've worked with Retrospect for many years but I've had nothing but trouble with the OSX versions of this product. This particular issue is on an apple Xserve Quad-core 2.26Ghz with 12GB of memory running 10.5.8.

I've installed and un-installed several times with the same results.

The app opens up I see the console.

If i try to add a media set the windows drops down.

I see the window " accessing " with a frozen gear.

I go into the Activity Monitor and the Retrospect Process says " not responding ".

I have to kill the process.

Anything I try to do beyond the main console screen has the same result.

Has anyone experienced this issue and can it be resolved?

I don't want to tell the customer that we need to upgrade to 9 for $400 to fix this.

Thank you,

Rick

If i try to add a media set the windows drops down.

I see the window " accessing " with a frozen gear.

When you click the giant candy sized "+" icon in the Media Sets window, the sheet that drops down is a the same sheet as drops down when you click that same icon in Scripts and Sources. It shouldn't be doing any device accessing at that point.

Is this the sheet you're that's freezing?:

post-211-0-47394000-1325983668_thumb.png

"Accessing" suggests Retrospect attempting to communicate with device hardware; do you have anything hanging off the XServe?

Davd

David, thanks so much for responding. Yes that is the screen where it hangs. It hangs weather I just select the default file name and location or select another location for the catalog file. the spinning beach ball turns and turns, in the Activity monitor it said " retrospect not responding" sometimes it will do that then after say 5 minutes it says in red " file name already exists" But will never let me create a new file. just " not responding" There is nothing else eating up the CPU either most of the time it's 90% idle. it also hangs if I try to create a media set, always "retrospect not responding"

do you have anything hanging off the XServe?

Yes, there is an Apple Xraid and a Drobo (I'd like to backup to the Drobo). I had this problem before the DROBO was attached. Other things that are "wonky" with Retrospect is that when I open the console app, it's not consistent with giving me the server info, I'll close the app and reopen and all the info is there, sources etc.. Retrospect use to be solid as a rock, I just hope I'm doing something wrong here. Any other ideas.