Backup StorCenter NAS drive to External USB drive

shanz

I have just setup my new Iomega StorCenter ix2-200 which comes with Retrospect Express HD for Windows but the firmware is based on Linux.

I have the RAID set to mirror the 2 drives in the NAS box.

I also connect a separate USB external hard drive to the NAS box.

The NAS has a 'Backups' webpage.

I have used "Copy To" to copy all the data from the external USB drive onto the NAS box so I now have 3 drives all with the same data.

Now I want to update the data on the NAS box and schedule a backup/synchronisation every night or week to copy any new or modified data to the external USB drive.

I'd like to do this without requiring to power-on my laptop. So I am relying on the NAS box's firmware (Linux) version of Retrospect I think.

The "Backup" option results in Restore Points in E:\Restore Points. I don't want the hassle of restoring my data - I just want to synchronise it.

The "Copy To" option doesn't sound like an incremental backup rather it just copies everything again.

1. The overwrite setting determines what happens to files in the destination location if they have the same name as those in the source location. Select one of the following values for the overwrite setting:

• Overwrite and don't delete — Files in the destination location are overwritten with files from the source location. Any files in the destination location that are not in the source location are preserved.

• Overwrite and delete — Files in the destination location are overwritten with files from the source location. Any files in the destination location that are not in the source location are deleted. The destination location becomes an exact copy of the source location.

• Don't overwrite — Only files in the source location that are not in the destination location are copied. No files are overwritten in the destination location.

None of the above options sound very appealing in my scenario.

I know I could ensure my PC is left powered-on overnight and schedule SyncToy to acheive this but there must be another way!