Malformed Name During Scan On Linux And Netware Volumes

The knowledgebase says this is what I should do....

"1) Run Scan Disk or CHKDSK on the source volume being accessed when the error happens.

2) WARNING: Users can force Retrospect to back up a volume reporting the -1013 error during volume scan, but this will prevent all files from being copied.

To continue the scan after the -1013 error is detected:

Launch Retrospect

Type ctrl-alt-P-P

Select Execution on the left side and turn on "Continue after scanning errors".

Click OK

Quit and launch Retrospect again. "

The problem is that this isn't a Windows volume so I can't run CHKDSK. I did run checks on the volumes and there isn't anything structurally wrong. So, hopefully the new Retrospect will see the post and consider at least letting us know what the file was that was causing the error. Instead of just bombing out of the volume scan with the generic error. If I knew the filename, I could likely rename it or move it to a less deep folder.

Also, what does it mean when it says that if I set Retrospect to continue after this error that "this will prevent all files from being copied."? Why wouldn't it copy all the other files that didn't have malformed names?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

The knowledgebase says this is what I should do....

"1) Run Scan Disk or CHKDSK on the source volume being accessed when the error happens.

2) WARNING: Users can force Retrospect to back up a volume reporting the -1013 error during volume scan, but this will prevent all files from being copied.

Ok, so After hours of looking I located the single folder name that Retrospect did not like. It appeared to be very long and contain a non-ASCII character. If Retrospect had simply logged this in its log or the event viewer, I could have renamed it hours before. Instead I ended up having to create sub volumes until I found the folder that would not scan. Then I was able to search through those sub folders and locate it.

Come on Retrospect, now that the developers and people who really like this product are back in charge - you need to do better volume scanning than this. We are using Linux servers to server Apple OS X and Windows XP/7 clients and some linux clients as well. We have all kinds of different OSs creating files on our Linux servers. If Retrospect sees a file/folder name or length it doesn't like don't just throw a malformed -1013 error - tell us what Retrospect found that it didn't like.

Also, I hope Retrospect doesn't go back to being desktop only and ignoring the enterprise market. You have a solution that with a little attention to details like error handling could literally back up large organizations. SQL, Exchange, Groupwise, Active Directory, eDirectory, MySQL, Oracle, etc. If you support clients for those - especially with granular backup, fix some of your cryptic error handling. You really have a compelling backup solution that is quite honestly the easiest to use on the market.

Retrospect can become the set it and forget it backup solution for home, small business and Enterprise customers. It just needs a little TLC in the error handling department and some additional client support. Go for it.