Retrospect 9 Client And Retrospect 8 Engine

I read some of the documentation but didn't find the answer to these 2 questions:

1. Can I use the new version 9 client with the 8 backup engine? And if so, will I benefit from the improvements in speed?

2. Can I install both the version 8 and the version 9 client on the same system so I can test client backups with 9 while still using 8 for production backups?

Guest Steve Maser

1) No -- you can only use the 9 client with the 9 engine. You can use the 6 client with the 9 engine, though.

2) What I'd probably recommend would be to grab a copy of your existing "config80.dat" file and put it on another machine to test using the 9 engine (you'd have to start clean with some new media sets, though...) I haven't tried reinstalling 8.2 after upgrading to 9.0, so I don't know if "config80.dat" gets messed up if you try to revert downward.

- Steve

Guest Steve Maser

Thanks for the info. In question 2 is was talking about the client, not the engine. I will test the 9 client on a separate machine, but was wondering if I could use botch Retrospect clients on my other desktops so I can try 9 will still using 8 for the real backups.

I don't believe there's a way to install the Retrospect 6 (8.2 version) client *and* the Retrospect 9 client simultaneously. I guess if you wanted to do a speed test, you could make a new partition on a client machine, use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the original partition (with Retro 6 client) to the new partition and run 6 on one and 9 on the clone and see if you get a difference with the client -- as the *hardware and OS files* would otherwise be identical.

If you try this, please let us know if you see any speed difference due to the client!