Copy Script Randomly Changing Source / Destination Volumes!

I'm a long time Retrospect user and just updgraded from 6.1. Frankly it seems like a downgrade. No "run documents" that I can launch from the desktop, no "shut down when finished" option (why remove this?).

However, when my scripts actually randomly change that's scary. This could destroy data.

I selected favorite folders across several drives and then set up 5 copy scripts (these are all folders on drives)

"Project 1" (internal drive) copy to "Project 1" (external drive)

"Project 2" (internal drive) copy to "Project 2" (external drive)

"Project 3" (internal drive) copy to "Project 3" (external drive)

"Project 4" (internal drive) copy to "Project 4" (external drive)

"Project 5" (internal drive) copy to "Project 5" (external drive)

However, as soon as I go back and check the summaries of these scripts, some of them have changed sources and destinations. This can happen immediately, or a little while later, so suddenly I have something like:

"Project 1" (internal drive) copy to "Project 3" (external drive)

These scripts were created by using duplicate script one the first one was created manually. I am selecting the radio buttons in the "Sources" and "Destinations" windows, but as soon as I move to another script and back to the other, it has changed source and/or destination or both.

I'm a long time Retrospect user and just updgraded from 6.1. Frankly it seems like a downgrade.

Many of us have felt this way.

However, when my scripts actually randomly change that's scary. This could destroy data.

I selected favorite folders across several drives and then set up 5 copy scripts (these are all folders on drives)

"Project 1" (internal drive) copy to "Project 1" (external drive)

"Project 2" (internal drive) copy to "Project 2" (external drive)

"Project 3" (internal drive) copy to "Project 3" (external drive)

"Project 4" (internal drive) copy to "Project 4" (external drive)

"Project 5" (internal drive) copy to "Project 5" (external drive)

However, as soon as I go back and check the summaries of these scripts, some of them have changed sources and destinations. This can happen immediately, or a little while later, so suddenly I have something like:

"Project 1" (internal drive) copy to "Project 3" (external drive)

These scripts were created by using duplicate script one the first one was created manually. I am selecting the radio buttons in the "Sources" and "Destinations" windows, but as soon as I move to another script and back to the other, it has changed source and/or destination or both.

Retrospect 6 was annoyingly non-Mac-like in the way changes were saved without confirmation. Retrospect 8 is even worse in this regard, and it's quite possible when clicking around to inadvertently change a condition. However, from your description, it sounds like this is probably not your problem.

Retrospect has always relied on keeping all its preferences, scripts, and lists in a single configuration file. In past versions, this file hasn't been terribly robust. In Retrospect 8, this file is being further loaded up with data about past backups, which may be a factor in making this file even more fragile than before.

The first thing I'd try is not using the duplicate option for your subsequent scripts. If the original script is also flaky, I'd delete all of them and try writing them again from scratch.

If you still have problems, try starting over with the default configuration. Quit the Retrospect Console, and stop the Retrospect Engine in System Preferences. Drag the files Config80.dat and Config80.bak from /Library/Application Support/Retrospect to the desktop. Restart the engine, relaunch the console, and try creating a test script to see if things behave any better.

Guest Steve Maser

I'm pretty sure there have been filed bugs about *duplicated* scripts causing these exact problems (creating brand new scripts do not have these problems.)

Hopefully, the upcoming update will have fixed this issue.

I'm pretty sure there have been filed bugs about *duplicated* scripts causing these exact problems (creating brand new scripts do not have these problems.)

Hopefully, the upcoming update will have fixed this issue.

Thanks for the replies. I recreated the scripts without the duplicate function and things seem to be holding tight now.