All Config Data And Preferences Gone

Guest Miribilis

Guest Miribilis

I launched Retrospect today and all rules, backup sets, scripts, schedules- everything is missing. It even asked for my Reg code.

Where are those files stored?

I restored a config80.dat file and it had some things, but was missing Rules and Scripts. Those would be very difficult and painful to recreate.

Edited by Miribilis

I launched Retrospect today and all rules, backup sets, scripts, schedules- everything is missing. It even asked for my Reg code.

Where are those files stored?

I restored a config80.dat file and it had some things, but was missing Rules and Scripts. Those would be very difficult and painful to recreate.

Did you revert to your own backed up copy of Config80? If so, it must have been a version before you wrote those rules and scripts. In the future, it would be wise to back up this file periodically so you can revert to a more recent version in case (perhaps I should say when) it happens again.

Retrospect has always stored everything important in its single configuration file, which strikes may of us as unnecessarily risky. (Retro 8 even stores some unimportant stuff, such as recent backups, in its Config80 file.) One glitch—say a crash or power failure—can hose this file, with the dire consequences you just experienced.

Guest Miribilis

I tried renaming the .bak file to .dat

And I restored a backed up file from 6 months ago.

But!

I didn't stop and restart the engine. I just quit the app. Let me try both of those again tonight with the engine shut down and see what happens.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Steve Maser

Had it happen here too. Several times. Having a backup file of the settings did NOT solve the problem, as there wasn't every and all the settings, scripts, sources and filters recreated.

Really? I've restored config80.bak files a number of times and they have always contained everything in them.

Now, if you make a quick change to something and the change is not written to the .bak file -- then, yes, you won't get that change back. But any time I've restored an *updated* .bak file -- it's been fine.

Is your .bak file getting updated when the engine is running? I think it updates automatically at least every 60-90 minutes or something like that (but is dependent upon other activities concurrently running...)

Yes the file is updated. Sometimes it worked, somtimes id didn't. Since I also experience the same problem as others described (prefs file bloated by log entries... wtf ?!?!) I just don't feel very comfortable with how stable RS is behaving. I've re-configured the whole shebang more than once, so it's not that I just had bad luck.

I don't know if it is because we use a combination of RemoteDesktop and a local GUI in parallel to using the GUI app from a distant admin CPU.

Guest Steve Maser

What probably happened (and I've had this happen in the past -- but not with 8.2): If you have *something* causing the Retrospect engine to crash (and it's best to spend the time to figure out what this is), and the crashes are happening *frequently* (like immediately after each other), then the ".bak" file will get updated with a "clean" config80.dat file if you stop/start the engine frequently.

What I'd suggest (and probably what most people do until things get more stable) is to make manual backup copies of the config80.dat file whenever you make significant changes. I just back up the file to it's own media set daily at 2:00 a.m. If I get a full-on crash that I can't recover from a backup file, it's relatively easy to just read the "config80" media set and restore the last working config80 backup file and put it back in place.

Edited by Steve Maser