Error Codes 102 And 205 During Restore

I am trying to complete a restore, and Retrospect generates the following errors when I try to recreate the catalog (pic attached):

error 102 (trouble communicating)

error 205 (lost access to storage medium)

Backups run fine on the drive it loses access to, so I'm not sure what is causing the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

I am trying to complete a restore, and Retrospect generates the following errors when I try to recreate the catalog (pic attached):

error 102 (trouble communicating)

error 205 (lost access to storage medium)

Backups run fine on the drive it loses access to, so I'm not sure what is causing the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I also get "Error 102 (Trouble communicating)"

I assume there is a time-out when retrospect try to communicate with the drive.

Is there a way to adjust parameters to make Retrospect wait a bit more.

If the time-out limit is increased, maybe the tape can be read.

My Library is a Quantum SuperLoader 8 using DLT V4 drive and VS160 Tapes.

Sylvain

• 5 weeks later...

I will add my voice to this. We have recently moved our tape auto-loader from one Dell server to another, using the same SCSI card, cable etc, and we are now seeing this failure on verification scans, causing the tape drive and autoloader to disappear from Retrospect. Only full power cycles bring it back. I have recently updated the autoloader AND drive firmware to latest. I did just update to the latest driver hotfix, but have no feeling that it will make a difference, as I have an absolutely identical setup at another site that does not have this issue. It may well be that the drive tself is having problems, but wanted to see if there is anything else I can get from these error messages.

Dell PowerVault 124T (1.08) FW 85

Quantum Ultrium 3 DC (1.41) FW 2181

Moved Adaptec 39320A from PE 840 to a PE2950, using same cables.

Retrospect 7.6.123 w/ Driver/Hotfix 7.6.3.102 (was 7.6.2.101)

An interesting note: I just checked the last restart of Retro with the one immediately following my hotfix. There appears to be 'unknown Windows errors' in the previous restart. Maybe the hotfix actually did something? I'll check back with results as soon as I get them.

+ Retrospect version 7.6.123

Automatically launched at 1/17/2012 1:51 PM

+ Driver Update and Hot Fix, version 7.6.2.101

MapError: unknown Windows error 1,021

TReg::Create(Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\UserDefaults): failed, winerr 1021, error -1001

TReg::Create(Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\UserChosenExecuteHandlers): failed, winerr 1021, error -1001

TReg::Create(Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\UserDefaults): failed, winerr 1021, error -1001

TReg::Create(Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\UserChosenExecuteHandlers): failed, winerr 1021, error -1001

2:35:39 PM: Library "Dell PowerVault 124T, ID 3:6:1" could not clean drive "Quantum Ultrium 3 DC, ID 2:6:0", a cleaning tape was not found or its cleaning count was reached. It was used 13 hours since the previous cleaning request.

3:09:57 PM: Drive "Quantum Ultrium 3 DC, ID 2:6:0" was cleaned.

3:09:57 PM: Drive "Quantum Ultrium 3 DC, ID 2:6:0" was cleaned.

Exit at 1/17/2012 3:17 PM

+ Retrospect version 7.6.123

Launched at 1/17/2012 3:17 PM

+ Driver Update and Hot Fix, version 7.6.3.102

• 3 weeks later...

Say, is anyone with Retrospect, like Robin, actually reading this forum these days?

So I have put device logging up to 7, cleaned the drive, got a fresh tape, ran what would seem to be a good backup (no verification), then turned around to restore it. I have captured the logs for your reading pleasure. In this case it got to withing 30GB or so of a 200 GB restore, then froze up and the changer dropped out of sight, the drive still shows but reads as Not Responding. In the environment tab the Quantum drive still shows with (device busy) and the changer is listed with (unknown response) and no Driver. I rescan in the environment tab and the drive goes to (unknown response as well.

We will have to power cycle now.

Is there anything we can derive from these logs?

LTO3-BackupGood.txt

LTO3-RestoreErr.txt