Retrospect won't recognize DVD burner. Help !!

I have been using Retrospect Express 5.0.238 for almost a year on my dual G4 Mac with OS X 10.4.7. I do a backup whenever the mood strikes me. One to an external Firewire hard drive and another to DVD … the DVD burner being an external Firewire LaCie d2 16X Lightscribe DL DVDRW ( TSST SH-S162L ) … where I am using conventional DVDs.

This seemed to work OK previously, but today I had a problem with the DVDs; Retrospect did not recognize the LaCie drive. The Retrospect software found my built-in 1X DVD drive but using it is like watching paint dry …

I have gone to the Retrospect website and prowled around but I did not find answers easily. It appears that this drive “Has not been tested” with Retrospect. Hmmmmm …

Anyone have any suggestions ??

At this point I am open to almost any alternative: 1. Upgrade Retrospect ( if the upgrade will work with my drive ), 2. Switch backup software to something else ( any ideas for the casual backup user ?? ) or 3. Buy a new external DVD burner … though I hate to do this because my LaCie seems to work OK except with Retrospect.

DICK FOLKERTH

Quote:

It appears that this drive “Has not been tested” with Retrospect. Hmmmmm …

Anyone have any suggestions ??

Well, the obvious one would be to use a supported backup device.

Quote:

I have been using Retrospect Express 5.0.238 for almost a year on my dual G4 Mac with OS X 10.4.7.

You need Retrospect 6.1 for Mac OS 10.4.x. (Not to say that an upgrade will work with an unsupported drive, though).

Russ

Quote:

but today I had a problem with the DVDs; Retrospect did not recognize the LaCie drive

While Retrospect may not be able to work with a drive that has neither built-in support, RDU support, or user configured support, it will _recognize_ any device on a supported bus.

Given that yesterday the drive worked with Retrospect and today it does not, my first suggestion would be to make sure that the drive is on.

Dave

Archived