Cannot automate backup to network

JEtkins

I have Retrospect Express 5.6.127 that came with my Sony CD-R, running on Windows XP Pro. I have set up a script to back up to two file backup sets on a shared volume on my Windows 2000 workstation that I uses as a file server.

This all works fine as long as I run the script manually, but whenever it tries to run unattended, it fails with

Can't access backup set Backup Set C, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

When I look at the security log on the Win2k box, I see multiple ANONYMOUS logon/logoff records at the time that the script runs, but no sign of it actually attempting to log in with my ID.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Well, I got it working by seting the Retrospect Launcher service to run under my account instead of the Local System account. Scheduled backups now work, and I see my account logging on to the Win2k box.

However, I'm not convinced it's working as designed. Nowhere in the documentation does it mention that this should be needed, and it's also ignoring the "automatic login" details that I defined for the remote backup sets. Do I need to report this to Dantz, or do their folks read this forum anyway?

Thanks,

Jon.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem with Windows XP backing up to another computer on Windows ME. I can backup immediately with no problem, but the scheduled backup fails to run giving the error message you mentioned.

Could you post how you went about implementing the workaround with the Retrospect launcher?

For Dantz folks looking in on these messages could you comment on other possible solutions as it appears this is a typical problem with Retrospect on Windows XP?

Thanks

Bring up the Services control panel (on my machine that's Start - Administrative Tools - Services), scroll down to the Retrospect Launcher, and bring up its properties by double-clicking it. Click the Log On tab and you'll find it's set to run under the Local System account. Select This Account and enter your account name and password, then click OK. Finally, right-click Retrospect Launcher and select Restart.

I may have missed a step or two - it's been a while now since I did it - but that's the gist of it.

Good luck!

Archived