LaCie external hard drive

I am trying to backup an internal hard drive on a new LaCie 160 GByte external hard drive for the first time.

Under the "Immediate" tab, "Backup" (Immediate backup) option there are five buttons, and here are my settings for each:

Sources: Data (the name of the internal hard drive partition to be backed up)

Destination: Backup Set Data (the name of a catalog file created)

Selecting: All files.

Preview: (click here to view..)

Options: Verification on, Don't backup FilesVault sparseimages

Upon initiating an "Immediate backup", Retrospect scans all 434,581 files on the internal HD then writes a 113 Mbyte backup set catalog file (named by me "Backup Set Data") to whatever path I chose for it (external or internal HD) then opens a window "Please select a new disk..." and the external HD is not listed (and it does not become listed upon hitting "Device status").

If I stop the backup and go to the "configure" tab on the main menu, and then "Devices", the external HD is not visible.

The external HD was formatted as recommended by LaCie as "Mac OS Extended" and is currently named "Retrospect".

Retrospect is trying to backup 34 GByte of data, which is easily accommodated by the empty 160 Gbyte extermal HD.

If I go to the main menu "tools" "verify", verification of the backup set catalog file is: "Execution completed successfully" (0 files, zero k).

I believe I have the latest version of Retrospect. What century was this software written in? Sorry, my real questions are: Why? and how to solve?

Thanks, Paul

From the message that is displayed I gather that you have configured your backup set as a "Removable disk" set. That means that Retrospect expects to grab the whole disk and it cannot do that if it has been mounted by OS-X. This mode of operation was really designed with ZIP disks and similar devices in mind and your external disk is not regarded as removable. That makes sense: you can disconnect it but you cannot remove the media.

What you should do is create a file backup set on your external drive and use that as destination for your backup. I use 2 250Gb LaCie drives this way and that works just fine. The only drawback is that your backup set cannot exceed the size of your external disk: file backups cannot span multiple disks (which in my view is rather silly, but that's the way it is).

Greetings,

Wim Kegel

Thanks very much for your response, yes, I have configured my backup set as a "Removable disk" set.

What you say is intriguing, but not yet quite enough, unfortunately, for me to replicate what you have done.

How do I create a "file backup set"?

I would be very grateful if you could let me know what I should do differently.

Thanks! Paul

Here's how:

- Make sure your LaCie drive is mounted and visible in the Finder

- From the Retrospect main menu, choose Configure > Backup sets

- In the Backup Sets screen, choose New...

- In the Backup Set creation screen, set the Backup Set type to File, choose a suitabl name, and click NEW

- In the Choose A Folder dialog, choose your LaCie disk (or a subdirectory on your LaCie disk) and Click Save

Retrospect will create two files in the specified directory on your LaCie: the data file and the catalog file. Your new Backup Set will be visible in the list of Backup Sets and can be specified as a destination for your backups.

Hope this helps,

Wim Kegel

Wim,

Thank you SO MUCH for your help, that fixed it!!

There was just one small extra thing: To use external HD as a backup set, I had to go to the Special menu > preferences > media handling then check the relevant box (the instruction to do this was embedded in one of the windows and I had missed it).

Thanks again for your help! It is great that there are people who actually hang around forums trying to help others, it makes the world a better place.

Take care, Paul

Quote:

It is great that there are people who actually hang around forums trying to help others, it makes the world a better place.

Paul,

Just a bit of constructive criticism for you: These are community forums, visited by other users just like you, and we try to help each other. I considered whether to reply to your post but was put off by your snippy remarks. I thought it just might be me misinterpreting your post, so I looked at the past posts that you have made, and they are all similar in tone. It is not productive to make such remarks, and it caused me not to post a suggestion that could have helped you. Perhaps your remarks affect others the same way.

Just a suggestion in case you need help in the future.

Regards,

Russ

Archived