finding vCards from Mac Address Book

I sure could use some help....

I mistakenly did a a Mac OS X 10.4 tiger "Install" instead of "Update" and immediately lost all the files on my Desktop, my iTunes and iPhoto libraries, my mailboxes, Safari bookmarks, etc.

Luckely (wisely?) I actually purchased an external HD and did a Retroscript Express Backup immediately prior to this misadventure. With some help from the folks at Apple, I have been able to recover everything, except.....

I can't seem to find one important set of data and neither could the Apple rep - and was wondering if anyone on this Forum could give me a suggestion...

I can't seem to find the vcards from my Mac Address book application anywhere on the backup. Were these copied during the Backup? (if not, it might be useful to warn folks about this). If so, does anyone have any idea where they reside and how I can export them back into my new Address Book application?

Would really appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks

Ross Feldberg

>I can't seem to find the vcards from my Mac Address book application anywhere on the backup.

Where did you look?

> Were these copied during the Backup?

Only you know. Retrospect will backup what you configure it to backup.

> does anyone have any idea where they reside and how I can export them back

>into my new Address Book application?

Address Book can import and export vcards, but it doesn't store its data that way.

Address Book data is stored in:

~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/

If you replace this folder with the one from your backup, Address Book should look the same.

Thanks, it worked. I actually tried moving that file before, but my mistake was that address book application must have been open and the data was not actually accessed. this time I quit out of the application and when I reopened it, voila, all the data was there.

Many thanks

Ross F.

Archived