Stuck on "Preparing to Execute"

I believe I might have posted here about this problem a year or two ago, but I have a new installation and can't find the answer I received then...

I'm using Retrospect (now v7.5) to back up a very large drive with very large files on a Win XP Pro SP2 system. I'm doing file-type backups to an NTFS external firewire drive. Sometimes it works fine, and in fact it always does fine on a recycle. But about half the time when I'm using an existing backup set, I can't get past "Preparing to Execute...". I kick off the backup, and the drive starts to churn away, and just keeps churning away all night until I either unplug it, or exit Windows the next morning. Doing the latter is a problem, because Retrospect won't shut down. I have to use the power switch to force a shut-down.

If this is actually the same problem I had before, the answer had something to do with write caching, I think. I've gone into the Policies tab for the target drive in the Device Manager and set it to "Optimize for Quick Removal", but that hasn't helped, and it seems like there was something else I might have had to do before.

I'd appreciate some suggestions.

Glory! I finally found my original post. The problem wasn't write caching, it was System Restore. By turning that off for the target drive, I solved the problem then, so I assume it will now. This time I'm keeping a hard copy of the solution. <g>

RonT

Archived