Progressive Backup selecting too many files, ver 7.5.285

tearay

Twice, after adding only 100 KB to my local C: drive, I performed a Normal (Progressive) backup and each time there was 7.6 GB selected to append to my disc set. I ensured that all of the security items were selected for back up per Article # 9467. This article also says that a file called "mycomputer.dat" is kept on the local compter to keep track of the archive bits. This file is missing! The search came up with no hits at all. I recently upgraded from 7.0 to 7.5. Prior to this problem, I performed a Recycle update with ver 7.5 to reduce the size of my DVD+RW disc set. I've installed all available updates which brings me up to ver 7.5.285. Also, I have the Driver update and hotfix version 7.5.5.103. Any suggestions appreciated!

I see that you are backing up to DVDs and your source volume is too big to fit on a single DVD. Are you verifying your backups? If so are you preforming a "thorough verification" or a "media verification"?

If you are preforming a media verification, you are probably having the same problem I have been having. (See: Post# 70279 )

A bug report for this issue has been made, but as far as I know there is no resolution yet.

If not (or in addition too), do you have "backup file security information from workstations" checked? If you do you can cause what appears to be too many files being selected. Try unchecking "backup file security information from workstations". (You normally don't need to backup file security info anyway.)

Thanks for your reply! Actually, my backup set contained 7 DVDs before I ran the recycle option which reduced it down to 4 DVDs. I've used both thorough and media verification with no change in the problem. I also tried unchecking and checking the "backup file security info from workstations" No luck there either.

Hi Sakumbi,

This bug should have been fixed with the 7.5.285 release.

Can you test this out and verify?

Tearay, the "mycomputer.dat" file is located in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data(hidden folder)\Retrospect\RtrSec.dir".

Can you verify this?

Also, you may want to pull up the property attributes of a file that you know is being backed up twice to see if the file size, name, modification date, etc. have been chaned.

Thanks.

Hi Michaeln,

I did find the My Computer.dat file, just where you said to look. I had left out the space in the file name when I performed the search. The "Date Modified" shows 6/30/ 06. I had performed a recycle update on 6/30 and another recycle update on 7/02. Shouldn't the "Date Modified" show 7/02?

I pulled up a .txt file that was shown to be backed up per the Sessions Log, noted the properties, then modified it, saved it, and rechecked the properties. The size, modified, and accessed info changed accordingly.

Thanks!

Michaeln,

I see that Amy, with EMC Quality Assurance has seen this problem. (ref post 71064 on 4/24/06) Although, I have the problem no matter which verification method I use. It still takes two additional DVDs to back up my volume with no or little change to the volume.

Quote:

Hi Sakumbi,

This bug should have been fixed with the 7.5.285 release.

Can you test this out and verify?

I just upgraded to 7.5.285, and preformed several test backups. The bug is still present. Apparently only the fies on the last DVD (in a set that backs up a volume that spans more than one DVD) are recognised as backed up. All the files on all other preceding DVDs are still backed up again on the next normal backup.

Also I too am now having the same email notification problems that others have reported now that I have updated to 7.5.285.

Archived