Do I need to worry about this error message?

shaftoe

I'm running Professional v7.0.344, update version 7.0.12.105 on a stand alone PC running WinXP home SP2 w/all updates saving to an external WD HD via USB2. I back up weekly with grooming limited to the latest 4 backups. In my last 4 backups I have gotten the following error twice:

File "C:\WINDOWS\repair\software": didn't compare at offset 25,542,716 in stream "Data" 6/25/2006 4:26:45 PM: 1 execution errors

I checked the online help and it sounds like all my data files are fine but for this WINDOWS file which I don't think would harm any recovery I might need to do. Am I right that this is trivial or is there something going on here that I need to address and/or fix?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

The Repair folder contains a copy of the system's registry that were created after the first successful startup of Windows XP. If you ever have to do a repair on the registry, you would this from the Recovery Console to restore the backup copy of the registry from the Repair Folder.

I would use the Selector to exclude the file "software" from the backup. You are right, this more trivial than critical. Let me know if this works.

Quote:

The Repair folder contains a copy of the system's registry that were created after the first successful startup of Windows XP. If you ever have to do a repair on the registry, you would this from the Recovery Console to restore the backup copy of the registry from the Repair Folder.

I would use the Selector to exclude the file "software" from the backup. You are right, this more trivial than critical. Let me know if this works.

Thanks for the response. I forgot to mention in my original message that in the last 4 backups I had been using a script rather than running "Immediate Backup". I am reluctant to exclude any category of file from being backed up b/c I want to be able to do a complete restore if I lose my HD. So I reverted to Immediate Backup once more and had a successful backup wo/error. However, I'm still interested in what you described and why it appeared as an error.

Thanks again,

Mike

Thats cool that you were able to have a successful backup. If you want more info on what I had described; you can start with http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp-sys32.htm

Has for "why it appeared as an error"; I would have to recreate the error and that can often be difficult to do. I would just do more research on the folder causing the error and this could help you in finding answers.

Cheers

Archived