Single Server v6.5 install causes Windows NT 4.0 Event ID 2011

I installed Retrospect Single Server v6.5 on Windows NT 4.0. The install went fine, and Retrospect worked perfectly.

However, a little testing revealed that users could no longer logon to the Windows domain due to not being able to access files (Event ID 2011 in the Windows event log.) A typical Windows error message includes the words: Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

Further research indicated that this problem is typically caused by Symantec products which change the registry value for IRPStackSize to a small number.

Checking my registry at [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters] I found that IRPStackSize was set to a value of 6. I read that the maximum allowed value for Windows NT 4.0 is 12, so I changed the value to 10 (decimal) and rebooted. Success!! Users are now able to logon.

So, my question is this: Does Retrospect change this value during installation? Why would it do that? It must make the change, as I made absolutely no other changes during this time period.

In any case, hopefully this posting will help future users with this problem.

Archived