Help! Cannot restore data from backups

davodavo

Hi,

I have a Maxtor One Touch II drive which has been working well and I have restored data OK in the past, no problems. My system is XP Pro SP2 with all updates installed. However, the other week I needed to make some space on the One Touch drive to copy another hard disk to it so I could reformat it (to help a friend out). I started cutting and pasting some really old backup sets to my desktop by using Windows Explorer. No probs - so I thought - but my C: Drive died while I was in the middle of it so I lost the files I had cut and pasted!! mad.gif

However, I rebuilt my system and then duly copied the other hard disk contents to the One Touch blush.gif.

The problem I have now is that I can see the backup sets on the One Touch using Windows Explorer but I cannot restore any data as Retrospect HD 1.1 thinks the disk is full when I try to set up the backup schedule with HD 1.1 after I reinstalled it (when it's not full, as I deleted the copied 40-odd Gigs worth of hard drive stuff I had put there) crazy.gif. If I try a restore it looks at the drive but returns no restore points.

The Retrospect catalogue file is there but I guess that I have either deleted some important part of the pointers or maybe overwritten some crucial part of the One Touch disk shocked.gif.

The question is, how can I recreate the catalogue so that it sees that the disk is not full and will allow me to get at the back up sets that I can see there? Or is there some utility that I can use to get at the data?

I tried installing Retrospect v6 but when I try to rebuild the catalogue it says that it is an incompatible version.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello Davo1.

You can rebuild the catalog file-providing that your .rdb-data files are not corrupt.

Move the .rbc (retrospect catalog file) from the retrospect restore points folder on your external drive, to the root of your external drive. Then launch HD and you will get a message when HD opens "backup maintenance in progress", which means the catalog file is being rebuilt.

Thanks,

RetroRespect

Hi RetroRespect,

Many thanks for your reply - you are a Hero! grin.gif My catalogue is successfully rebuilt and I can restore OK.

One question, I now have a .rbc file in the root of the external drive and Retrospect HD has put another in the restore points folder. Is it OK to delete the root one?

Many thanks,

Davo1.

RetroRespect,

I am waiting patiently for a reply to my question. I do not want to commence new backups until I get an answer in case I screw up what I already have backed up.

A reply would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Davo1.

Quote:

Hi RetroRespect,

Many thanks for your reply - you are a Hero!
grin.gif
My catalogue is successfully rebuilt and I can restore OK.

One question, I now have a .rbc file in the root of the external drive and Retrospect HD has put another in the restore points folder. Is it OK to delete the root one?

Many thanks,

Davo1.

Archived