Duplicate to StoreIt drive (USB)

drmull

Hello - I just purchased a 60GB StoreIt drive from Pexagon Tech. I think I would like to do a simple duplicate operation - basically a clone of my existing drive. Here's the question:

If my existing HD fails and I go into BIOS and set it to boot first from the ext USB drive (my MB will do that), will the OS and applications function normally?? Can I then copy the contents of the backup drive onto a new internal HD with the OS and apps intact??...or is it not quite so simple?

Thanks for any help!

Not that simple. Just copying files over won't make a bootable drive. There's boot sector and other stuff for a bootable drive.

You might want to look at a ghosting program. And your USB drive may not boot on your PC. Personally, I always build a second bootable harddrive (from scratch) on at least one of my (IDE, etc.) backup drives [i.e. where I ghost and/or save Retro backups] and install some utilities (ghost program, anti-virus and repair programs, Retrospect, etc.). I can then boot from this and restore to the main drive (after a reformat, after a replace) using the ghost program and/or Retrospect.

Archived