Great Speed Disparity - Mac OS Network Clients

My backup machine is 500 mhz Mac G4 running OS 10.1.4 with brand new Exabyte VXA Firewire Tape Drive. Just installed Retrospect 5.0 and a new 5-User 5.0 Client Pack. Local backups from this machine are nice and fast - in vicinity of 150MB/minute. On the network, I get a respectable 33MB/minute average when backing up my ancient PowerBook 3400 running OS 9.1(that's way faster than my old SCSI tape drive under 9.X). But my 266 mhz Beige G3 Desktop running 9.2.2, which is on the same ethernet network going through the same hub can barely muster a 0.5MB/minute backup speed. I hit command-I in the Configure > Clients window for each of these two clients. The old Powerbook reports between 800KB and 1000KB/second as its speed, but the G3, which seems like it should be faster is registering a steady 24KB/second. I've reset my File Sharing prefs to allow remote machines to connect via TCP/IP, but with the same results. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Are the computers connected via a Switch or Router. If yes than the Network device port configuration may not match the Client Network card setting. You will see such a performance decrease if e.g. Switch port set to fixed 100, full duplex, and client to auto-negotiate. I recommend using Auto-negotiate if you have reasonably new hardware.

Archived