I am running Retrospect 5.11 with a 30 GB Onstream drive.

I purchased new backup tapes but upon insertion, the program tells me that the tape is the "wrong version". When I put the tape I was using for the past few months back in the drive, the drive recognizes it - no problem. But when I put the new tape in - wrong version.

Both tapes are Onstream ADR 30 GB cartridges. The only difference is that one is old and one is new and the new ones are the ones that are giving me the problem.

Can you confirm which version of Retrospect you are using? There are no Onstream Tape Drives that are qualified with version 5.11. All supported Onstream drives require 5.15 or higher. While earlier versions of Retrospect may have recognition for the drive (the program sees it), the drive was not fully supported until the release of 5.15.

Also, check your firmware version for the Onstream drive under Configure > Devices > Device Status. The version listed will be the firmware version for the drive. Most, if not all, Onstream drives have a minimum firmware version required for use with Retrospect.

For complete requirements for your specific drive, please see the hardware search engine:

www.dantz.com/hardware

Once you are running a supported version of Retrospect, try erasing the new tape within the program. Retrospect may not be recognizing the format of the new tape.

Archived