Problems getting Exchange client to see any Storage Groups or mailboxes

We are running Restrospect 7.0.5.102 with the Value Pack and client 7.0.107. I am having major headaches getting the Server to see any Storage Groups or mailboxes on our new 2003 Exchange Server. Please can someone help. I've followed the Exchange Server Agent installation chapter to the letter.

Restropect is located on server in Domain 1. Exchange Server is in Domain 2. The client is installed on the ES and can be seen successfully by Retrospect

I have created a service account called "SVC-RBU" in Domain 2. It is a member of Admin, Domain Admins, Backup Operators, and Domain Users of Domain 2. It has an active mail address and can be seen in the global address list

Restrospect is set to use SVC-RBU account to "Always run as specified user".

I close Retrospect, logout of Domain 1 and log back in using a Domain 1 Admin account. Retrospect is restarted. I unlicense and re-license the Exchange server through the Volumes window. But no matter what I do I cannot see any storage groups and if try and view mailboxes I get error "Can't track volumes error -3421"

I tested the login for the service account and all credentials are correct. I redid the whole exercise with a new account and it still failed

Does anyone know where I'm going wrong or how I can get this thing to work?

thanks

Well, now I added my service account to local admin and local backup operators. Retrospect now sees the SRS volume on the Exchange server, but still no Storage Groups or mailboxes.

If anyone has any ideas then I'd be very grateful.

thanks

So you can license and log in the Exchange Server but no volumes are displayed...

Are you seeing any errors in the Event Log on the Exchange Server after these attempts?

For testing purposes only, can you try to authenticate Exchange as the Domain Admin rather then the SVC-RBU account to see if Exchange shows up as it should? This would help rule out (or in!) a permissions issue.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problems with my Exchange client on a windows 2000 server running exchange 2000. This is with Retrospect 7.5.

I get the error message:

Sorry, can't list volumes on

Exchange Mailboxes on ServerName

Error -3421 (MAPI initialization failed)

This message comes up when I start the backup.

I did some more reading... and it looks like my problems was related to hiding my retrospect backup user account from the global address list. My problem looks to be resolved.

Hope this helps someone else out.

James

Archived