File Sharing OS 9 elem.c-812

We have been having the elemc-812 error message with our nightly backups of six G4 Macs. We never had this problem with the previous versions of retrospect. Since we have started turning off file sharing each night the backups are working fine. What a hassle though. Does anyone know if there is a patch for retrospect or an apple script that will turn off file sharing each night?

Any other suggestions?

Nick

We're having the same problem, along with everyone else using Retrospect 5 on an ASIP server (or machines with file sharing turned on). Dantz is supposed to be working on a fix.

In the meantime I have had to go in manually every night, shut down our AppleShare IP server, restart with the AppleShare extensions off, run the backup of the file server, then reverse the process. Luckily I have a cable modem at home, so I can do this remotely. You're right, it IS a real pain. I tried to script this, but unfortunately AppleShare IP does not seem to be scriptable (thanks, Apple!).

So I check this forum every day to see if there is a fix yet. You will want to do the same.

I believe that the update patch to cure this problem is already available on line. Unfortunately, it is not obvious where the patch can be located. I had this problem my first week using Retrospect 5.0, but when I searched the knowledgebase for the exact name of the error, I found an article directing me to the patch. I installed the patch and that problem went away.

The ftp addresses for the updaters are as follows:

Retrospect Express 5.0 Updater

ftp://ftp.dantz.com/pub/updates/Express_50203_Update.sit

Retrospect Desktop/Workgroup/Server 5.0 Updater:

ftp://ftp.dantz.com/pub/updates/Retrospect_50203_Update.sit

Archived