Problems since adding 2nd USB drive

Hi folks...

Sorry for lack fo detail. I'm at work at the moment, and at the end of my rope. But I figured I'd start discussion in case this rings any bells, and can provide details when I get home.

Our home network backs up multiple PC's from a Windows XP box running Retrospect Professional 6.5. External USB drive attached to the backup host, and the drive does nothing but hold backups. This has worked flawlessly for months. However, our storage needs recently increased, and the disk is nearly full, so I bought a second external USB drive. This is where the story gets sad.

When I then tried to backup a machine to a new backup set on the new disk, at some point in the middle of the night the backup experienced a system crash that rebooted my machine. The details provided by Microsoft indicated it was due to a crash in a device driver. I checked to make sure I had up-to-date USB drivers, and seemingly do. So I concluded it was the disk, returned it, and bought a different external USB drive. Next night, exact same crash. Since then I've tried various debugging options, none of which have prevented this system crash. Turning off the original external drive doesn't help. Excluding really big files from the backup didn't help. Installing the most recent Retrospect driver update didn't help. So I still haven't been able to back up this new machine, because every backup dies along the way with this driver crash.

This ringing any bells? Any information I could provide that might help to diagnose this?

Thanks in advance...

Archived