Troubleshooting Sone AIT3 LIB-152E AIT Library

Hi all,

Using Retrospect Multi-Server 6.5 (latest rev of 6.5 as of today), running on Win2K desktop OS, on a PIII 1 Ghz, 1 GB RAM. Backing up an internal IDE hard disk to the AIT3 library (Sony LIB-152E AIT 3 Library) I'm getting around 25 MB/minute (!!). Also getting similar speeds backing up network clients. I normally get around 500 MB/min with the same device on other systems, so I seem to be running at about 5% of speed capacity.

I've got the latest SCSI card driver (adaptec 29160), and the Windows OS driver for the tape drive is disabled (and the device is disabled in device manager). I've ruled out bad tapes, and the Sony drive tool tests keep coming back with no errors. But the abysmally slow performance remains.

I recently found this article on the Sony website, which seems to indicate that all 15 slots must be in the magazine for the drive to work properly, which I never knew:

http://sony.storagesupport.com/cgi-bin/sonysupport.cgi/fYj-tC=UL8Ev=QHf=DPZXE=HZha-UeQ7/faq/view/245

I've only got 5 tapes in a 15 slot magazine (don't have other tapes now). Has anyone seen this cause problems, or is this an error in the Sony online docs? Can a half empty magazine really cause problems?

Archived