Catalog not "synced" between OS 9 and OS X?

Just installed Retrospect Desktop 5.0. I backed up my Mac system drive running Retrospect 5.0.205 under OS X with a simple backup script to a brand new catalog file - "System Backup". I then rebooted into OS 9, setup the same script in Retrospect running under OS 9 - backing up the hard drive to the same catalog file - and Retrospect wants to re-backup all the files on my hard drive.

The "match only same location" pref is unchecked in the script, and the "don't add duplicate files" pref is checked...so, I'm confused as to why Retrospect wants to re-backup everything when running in OS 9...? As long as I'm backing up the same hard drive to the same catalog file, it shouldn't matter what OS I'm running Retrospect in, right? I've checked and double checked the Retrospect prefs and script prefs, and everything is setup correctly. Even if I try to do an immediate backup of my system drive to the "System Backup" catalog file, Retrospect still wants to re-backup everything. Then I switch back to OS X, run Retrospect, and everything is back to normal - Retrospect sees that all the files are backed up, and only backs up a few new/modified files.

One other problem with Retrospect 5.0.205 in OS 9 is that if I save a script as a "run document", and then drag that file into my launcher program, then when I click on the file in the launcher, I get a Mac error dialog - "The finder needs your attention" - then I switch to the Finder, but there's no error dialog or message from the Finder, and then Retrospect launches and the script begins running.

Any ideas on this? Are these known issues? Shouldn't Retrospect under OS 9 behave exactly as it does under OS X if I'm backing up using the same catalog file?

Thanks for any advice you can offer....

-Bryan

In reply to:

I backed up my Mac system drive running Retrospect 5.0.205 under OS X with a simple backup script to a brand new catalog file - "System Backup". I then rebooted into OS 9, setup the same script in Retrospect running under OS 9 - backing up the hard drive to the same catalog file - and Retrospect wants to re-backup all the files on my hard drive.

Well, yeah.

Since Mac OS X and Mac OS 9 see these files differently, Retrospect running under each of these operating systems is going to see the files as different too.

Backing up an OS X install with Retrospect running locally under OS 9 won't preserve the special Unix characteristics of the system files; if the files _had_ matched you would only have succeeded in ruining the snapshot that you had created under OS X.

If you need to be re-booting into different operating systems you should consider individual Backup Sets for each environment. And your OS 9 Backup Set should exclude all the OS X system files, since they'll be useless if they're added to a snapshot under OS 9.

Dave

Archived