New Computer

I just got a new computer and everytime I try to open a file from my external hard drive it gives me an error message "sorry don't know how to open that file". These are just jpegs and run of the mill media files that I put on the WD drive. Both operating systems are windows xp. How do I fix this? Thanks

This message has me very worried now. I'm looking for a new computer so I can throw this old Pent3 w/Win ME off the back of a moving truck! BUT, I've got everything saved on a Western Dig. external using Retrospect Express 6.5.

I already lost a ton of stuff last week when Retro's "On Demand Backup" decided to compare drives and delete everything before backing up my HD again. I lost several episodes of an old TV series! (Luckily I found/bought an "undelete" prog that was able to dig up a few of them from the digital deep!)

So with respect to a new computer, is there anything specific I should be worrying about that others have experienced? Hearing about not recognizing files across the same OS from one machine to another is scary... but geez, a leap from ME to XP and a new machine? Seems like I should really be sweating this!

Any advice, warnings or caveats BEFORE I make the change would definjitely be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Archived