OS X thru OS 9.1 remote Error -37

My first attempts at backing up my new OSX TiBook from my OS 9.1 desktop (hooked up through local ethernet-mounted on the OS 9 desktop) repeatedly fail when doing my volume scan in Retro 5 Desktop, giving me an "Error -37". It's about 4gb worth of stuff (around 110K files), and craps out after scanning about 80K of them. I need to do the backup from the old OS 9.1 computer, as it has the SCSI and DAT drive hookup...so doing a direct backup right now isn't an option (unless I get a SCSI pc card, but I'd rather not buy more hardware). Ideas on what's going wrong--A permissions thing? UNIX to old OS issue for sure, but I'm not certain where to start. A setting(s) on my laptop? Within Retrospect? Both?

Shane,

You need to read your owners guide to learn more about how to backup machines other then the one running Retrospect.

You can backup your data files via AFP (Apple File Protocol) but you must do it the right way; it's been discusssed on this board many times. I'd suggest searching for "AFP" or some other text strings.

But you will not have a snapshot that you can use to restore an entire bootable OS X install this way; OSX and AFP just don't play that well together.

The best way is to use Retrospect Client with a Workgroup or Client license, which will allow Retrospect 5.0 running under OS 9 to see and copy all the system files on an OS X machine and preserve their i-Node information.

Dave

Apologies for what must sound like the most basic of issues. As for the RTFM quality to my question--simply put, I've used Retrospect for years never having needed to dig into the manual...I guess my local backup scenarios (or remote with the same OS) have been the simplest possible, so no tweaks or special considerations applied.

In short, I want the most reliable and cost effective method to back up my TiBook. I don't relish the thought of having to spend more money in either hardware (SCSI adapters to hook up direct to my DAT drive) or additional software...but if the latter is the best way, I say I'll go with that. Which points me to my next blatantly obvious question--you are saying I simply buy and set up Retrospect Client on my TiBook (OS X) and then I'll be able to accurately and reliably back up from my 'mothership' on the old OS 9.1 desktop machine running full Retrospect Desktop 5?

Confirmation of this and any pointers would be appreciated before I make any necessary/unnecessary purchases. Thanks in advance.

In reply to:

you are saying I simply buy and set up Retrospect Client on my TiBook (OS X) and then I'll be able to accurately and reliably back up from my 'mothership' on the old OS 9.1 desktop machine running full Retrospect Desktop 5?

The OS X Client software was included on your Retrospect Desktop CD (I think). You can install it on your OS X machine(s) now. But the license code that comes with Desktop will not allow you to login a client. That's the difference between the Desktop and the Workgroup versions of Retrospect.

They also sell client licenses seperately, although I have no idea as to pricing. I'd suggest calling Dantz sales to find out what your options are (and shop online before you buy anything!).

Dave

Archived