Cant insert DVD-R/W when Ret. 5 open

I have a Macintosh Dual 1 GHz system with 1 GB RAM. I am using Retrospect 5.0.205 under both OS 9.2.2 and OS 10.1.3. I am trying to backup to a DVD-R/W. In either system when I run Ret I scan the appropriate volumes and then it asks me for a disk. That's when my problem begins.

In OS 9.2.2, the system will not open the superdrive door when Ret is open!!!!! So, I go back and close Ret. 5 and insert the blank disk, then try to format it. I immediately get a message: "Disk is unreadable, do you wish to initialize it?" There are two choices: Eject or Initialize. But, Ret. 5 instructions say do not do that, rather let Ret. 5 do the formatting. Now I am caught between a rock and a hard place: Can't insert new disk when Ret. 5 requests it and can't have disk on desktop because it would have to be Apple initialized. Also, In OS 9.2.2, initialization hangs the system part way through - I ruined several DVD-R disks before I found out that you have to initialize in OS 10!!!

I then went into OS 10, and quickly got my blank disk on the desktop because now I got THREE options after the can't Read message: Ignore orEject or Initialize. Choosing Ignore, I was able to backup to the Ret. 5 formatted DVD-R/W.

My questions are these:

1) Can I backup both my OS 9.2.2 and my OS X stuff while in OS 10?

2) Will my Ret. 5 formatted DVD-R/W be recognized in OS 9.2.2?

3) How do I get a blank disk into the system under OS 9.2.2 without initializing it which won't work because a) Ret. 5 says no and B) system hangs when trying to initialize.

I do'nt know who frustrates me more: Apple or Dantz!!

Tom Casselman

Appernetly Apple insists that all DVD-R/W balnks be formatted in OS 10! I did that

In reply to:

1) Can I backup both my OS 9.2.2 and my OS X stuff while in OS 10?

2) Will my Ret. 5 formatted DVD-R/W be recognized in OS 9.2.2?

3) How do I get a blank disk into the system under OS 9.2.2 without initializing it which won't work because a) Ret. 5 says no and
B)
system hangs when trying to initialize.

1) Yes

2) I believe that the data can be read by Retrospect when running under OS X, and so can the catalog that was created when under OS 9; but once the catalog has been used under OS X it won't be usable under OS 9 again. You can't just switch back and forth, but you can migrate.

3) dunno

Archived