OS X, 9, Duplicate & Permissions

I'm migrating from a 20 gig drive in my PowerBook Pismo to a 40 Gig drive.

I have OS 9.2.2 and OS X v10.1.4 on it.

From OS X I did a duplicate to the new 40 Gig drive as an external Firewire device.

All went fine. I was having problems with the PowerBook not waking up with the new

drive so I decided I needed to do a format using Apples Hard Drive Utility.

Now, from OS 9 I did an "incremental duplicate" to the 20 Gig to get it back in sync

with the 40. I initialized the 40 and did a duplicate from the 20 again (Still under OS 9)

Now upon booting up in X the file permissions are obviously messed up.

If I do another duplicate only from a running version of X, will the file permissions on the 20 g

still be ok or did I mess up the permissions when I did an "incremental duplicate" under OS 9?

The symbolic links at the root level were also messed up, I was able to fix those but it still

got stuck in the boot process under X. OS 9 boot was ok.

Any other way to fix the permissions without doing a full duplicate?

Can I just do an "incremental duplicate" under OS X and have it fix the permissions?

Thanks.

Tony Jacobs

Can I just do an "incremental duplicate" under OS X and have it fix the permissions?

I don't think so. It's more likely that you totally hosed your OS X install.

The Mac OS 9 file system does not know anything about the i-node information that each and every OS X file contains. When Retrospect is running under OS 9 it doesn't know about this file information either.

You could try and do a "Replace Corrosponding" duplicate while booted under OS X, but it's more then likely that Retrospect will not match the hosed files, and you'll end up with massive amounts of duplicate files; half that work and half that don't.

You might have to salvage your data and reinstall your system software. Ah, for the luxury of Classic's System Folder...

Dave

Well, that's what I expected but I just wanted to make sure. I didn't really have anything too fancy with my X install. I was going to try and reinstall X over what is there but the installer didn't want to let me select that drive. My guess is that because there are already some of the key files on the drive it doesn't want to install over it. Either that or becuase the installer is 10.1.3 and what was there was 10.1.4.

Any suggestions on what to remove to be able to reinstall X over what's there?

Thanks

Sorry to intrude...but are you folks asserting that you absolutely CAN'T backup an OS X volume from Retrospect running under OS 9? Please say it ain't so...that totally screws up my hopes to backup my new laptop from my old 9600 w/ SCSI DAT. Am I going to have to buy a SCSI PC card and hook up the DAT drive directly?

Seems there'd have to be a way to get Retrospect and these two OS's to talk...

In reply to:

are you folks asserting that you absolutely CAN'T backup an OS X volume from Retrospect running under OS 9?

You can only backup OS X system files if OS X is the booted operating system where those files live.

Locally, if Retrospect is running on the same machine as your files, you must be booted into OS X. This way you can back up not only the / (root) volume, but any other local (ie not network) OS X volumes mounted on the desktop.

Remotely, you can backup an OS X machine if the machine that has your files is booted into OS X and has the Retrospect Client for OSX running; the machine running Retrospect 5.0 on the network can be booted into either OS 9 or OS X.

If a machine has both OS 9 and OS X installed, and you boot into OS 9, any OS X files you backup will not have their Unix i-node information included.

Dave

Archived