Recovery Did Not Bring Most Recent Backup

John Hunter

I have an 8300 Dell desktop with 120 GB that runs on XP Professional. I have Retrospect 6.0. Retrospect has been backing up my hard drive once per week to an external Maxtor 120 GB hard drive (Drive E:). I recently had to clean my "C" drive because of a suspected invasion by the "Blaster" worm. When I used Retrospect to reestablish my hard drive I got a backup from April of last year, not the most recent from November of this year.

Why would this happen?

How can I prevent it from happening in the future?

Can I put any faith in my Retrospect program?

JSH3 mad.gif

This is an extremely vague question and without details, initial thoughts would indicate user error.

First, did you ever verify that your backups were running?

You can check the Operations Log to see any kind of execution within Retrospect and the date it ran.

Also, if you go to Configure > Backup Sets, you should see a date next to your backup set which indicates the most recent backup.

If that date doesn't seem right to you, you can always try rebuilding the catalog file for your backup set to see an updated list of what data actually exists on your backup (in case your catalog file was damaged or hasn't been updated).

If backups were really important to you, I would imagine that you would double check to make sure it's actually running and that you've set it up correctly and even run some test restores from your backup. Obviously there's no point in running backups if you can't restore from them.

I've found these tutorials (more or less) useful: http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/_index1.asp?tab=opt1&r=0.1203359

Quote:

When I used Retrospect to reestablish my hard drive I got a backup from April of last year, not the most recent from November of this year.

Why would this happen?

How can I prevent it from happening in the future?

Can I put any faith in my Retrospect program?

You should have the option of choosing which Snapshot to use when restoring. If using the Retro DR CD, it will default to the backup set you referred to when building the DR CD. But, you should have the option to 'Add Snapshot'.

As mentioned, if you don't see in the Backup properties the latest backup you did, you can try to rebuild the catalog. If that doesn't work, something happened to your backup set.

From my experience with backup applications, you DON'T have a backup until you've tested it to confirm it will actually work.

Also, from my experience, Retrospect is absolutely reliable in restoring a disk to a previous time/snapshot. There are three caveats:

The DR CD can have problems with drivers for some motherboard devices. In that case, you 'simply' have to reinstall Windows, then restore using Retro.

Service Pack level of the to be restored and the backup set have to be the same Service Pack level.

You may have to do a format up recovery vs a restore of an existing install. Not sure what causes it, but in some cases, just restoring an existing install either doesn't fix the problem or makes it worse. In any case, starting with a clean drive Retro has always gotten me back to the state at the time of the snapshot.

HTH.

Archived