Unable to recover space after deleting Backup Set in Retro 7 Pro

dslorenz

I was trying to reclaim some space on a Maxtor drive and deleted a backup set before 'forgetting' the catalog. I subsequently went back in and forgot the catalog but that did not help release the space. I have defrag'd the drive with Windows defrag, run an error check and grabbed a trial copy of diskeeper 9 to defrag but nothing releases the space.

Other than removing the other info on the drive (over 100G) what should I try to get this space back (about 11G). Thanks in advance for any replies

Is the Retro catalog even saved on your (separate, external?) Maxtor drive? I think by default the catalog files are saved under the Docs & Settings tree on your C: drive. POr did you save them somewhere else manually? And do you mean catalog or backup/data files (11G seems kind of large for a catalog file)?

I mean backup data files as to your question on the 11G. After I deleted, basically dragged the folder the data files were in to the trash, I checked to see how much space was released. I saw that none was released and started to check the manuals for the correct process. There was a catalog file for these data files that I went back in and selected that it be "forgotten". Prior to doing that though I had gone into the configure section for Backup Sets and under options for this particular catalog selected 'action' and selected 'recycle'. This caused the backup set to disappear.

The catalog is gone and all of the backup sets are gone from the Maxtor and any reference to them is gone from Retrospect 7 Pro. The space on the other hand appears to still be occupied in Windows detailed description for this drive (Maxtor).

Since you did a drag & drop from Windows, it's up to Windows to release the space, not Retro. Are you running Norton or any program that archives deletes? Try empying the trash--right click to see if there are other options (Empty Norton Protected files, etc.) for *really* purging files.

Try a refresh? Try a reboot? Run a chkdsk?

Windows or another utility program is holding onto that space.

Thanks for your suggestions, unfortunately they did not work. So, I am probably going to put all the backup data sets onto DVD and then reformat the drive. I'll then put the backup data sets back onto the Maxtor.

Should I make a catalog for each individual backup data set first or just recreate it after I restore it to the Maxtor?

Also, can the backup data set and the catalog for the respective set reside on the same DVD?

Thanks again for all your responses...

Archived