I have just purchased the full version of Retrospect 5 (updated to build 2.0.5), for its elaborate file selection capability (I previously used Retro. Express with a previous Mac G3 and system 9). I worked out the selection scheme I wanted, set up the script and two backup sets. The program backed up each set exactly once. On two subsequent scheduled backups, the program terminated with an error -43 "file not found" or something to that effect.

I tried trashing both the backup sets and the script and reconstructing them, but to no avail.

In searching Dantz's online database, I saw a suggestion to check the hard drive's file system, and I have done so with both Apple's Disk First Aid and Micromat's Drive 10--neither found any problem with the drive.

Any further suggestions or observations?

[i can't believe that Dantz's only offers tech support for a big bucks; for a single call it's about $40, I think. Truely amazing that you don't get any live support at all after shelling out a hundred bucks or so for the program upgade!]

If you're running Mac OS X, be sure to use the special version of Disk First Aid that you can only get to by booting from the Mac OS X installation CD-ROM, and then choosing "Disk Utility" (or something like that) from the menus.

I found that this version of Disk First Aid repaired things that nothing else would, and my error -43 went away after that.

Good luck,

--Stuart

In reply to:

Any further suggestions or observations?

Does the Retrospect Log contain the path to the file/folder that caused the error? What is it?

I'd start by turning on File System Logging in Retrospect's Secret Preference dialog box (hold the Option key down while clicking on Special->Preferences).

Then, scan the disk again and see if you get additional information in the Log that you can include here.

Dave

Thanks for the suggestion. However, turning on File System Logging does not result in a path to the offending file/folder in the operations log, unfortuntely. The error message continues to say "error -43 (file/folder not found)".

I appreciate these suggestions and would welcome any others.

Define each of your root level directories as a subvolume, and scan them one at at time. Narrow down where the offending file/folder resides.

Retrospect had some problems with Kanji named folders during the Preview cycle, and it still seems to have a problem with nested folders with Kanji names.

Dave

Thanks for the suggestion. It was a laborious process, but I found an iTunes folder that should have had MP3 files in it, but was empty and that was apparently causing the error -43. Once I deleted the folder, the error-43 message went away, and I am able to launch a backup again. Strange that neither Disk First Aid nor Drive 10 found anything wrong with the drive!

Thanks again for the suggestion to check the root-level folders one by one.

In reply to:

I found an iTunes folder that should have had MP3 files in it, but was empty and that was apparently causing the error -43.

Drat, would have been good to have checked in Terminal to see what really was in the folder (that neither the Finder or Retrospect could handle).

Dave

• 1 month later...

yes that is true. I've got a lot of MP3s which Kanji characters that Retrospect chokes on.

Why is this exactly? I know that you cannot view these files in a terminal app because the font support isn't there but if Finder can display the correct Kanji why can't retrospect pick up the files?

the very fact that these files are iTunes suggests to me that it's character set problem. What music should be in there? In my case I use CDDB and whenever it comes back with Asian character sets sometimes Retrospect will choke on those files. ie. it always chokes on the same files just not all files like this.

Archived