Handling sub-volumes for performance

Hi

Very simply; I would like to define a sub-volume on a single logical RAID drive, and be able to treat this as one sub-volume and the rest of the directories as another sub-volume, without having to define each directory as a separate sub-volume.

I want all the directories and files on the disk - I just want to treat them as two to three units. The current choice seems to be one or twenty.

The logic behind this is also simple - I have a single install point (directory) that has sub-directories containing 775,000 files, and a number of other directories that have, in total, 250,000 files.

The time to back this up as a single volume during a recycle backup is almost 7 hours and the snapshot is 478 MB.

The files in the first directory change rarely if at all, excluding application of patches, the files in the remainder of the directories update regularly, though only a relatively small number of files actually change.

It seems logical that I can improve performance and resource usage by breaking these into smaller chunks for Retrospect to handle.

The logic leading to this conclusion is a 136 GB backup from another RAID on the same server requires 'only' 4.5 hours to complete, but has only 1500 files and stores a 687kb snapshot.

Any ideas?

Archived