No Backup Device Found

goldnet

I am trying to evaluate Retrospect Express (trial download) as it seems to be the best option for maintaining an XP-based system. My intention is to backup to CDRW using an HP 8210i CD drive which appears on the compatability list.

Unfortunately, I cannot get Retrospect to recognise the CD-ROM. When scanning devices, it pauses on 1:1 (the HP drive) and then reports it cannot gain exclusive access to the the drive. If I click OK on this message, I get a No Backup Devices Found screen.

I have searched the Knowledgebase and made all the suggested checks as well as uninstalling all other CD software (Roxio Easy CD Creator, HP RecordNow and HP Simple Backup). I've deactivated Virus protection in case that was intercepting calls to the drive. None of this makes any difference. I am logged in with Administrator rights. The Knowledgebase refers me to Technical Support for possible other solutions but I am not prepared to pay for chargeable support on a trial product.

I'd really like to carry out a proper test of the product as, in theory, it offers everything I am seeking. Unfortunately, unless I can see it working, I am not going to buy it.

Can anyone offer any other suggestions?

Though nobody was able to offer assistance on this topic, I accidentally discovered the reason for Retrospects failure in this case.

I had a DVD-ROM drive and a CD-RW drive. The DVD was configured as the Master, the CD-RW as the Slave drive. Reversing these cured the problem. Retrospect now recognises the CD-RW even with Roxio Direct CD loaded, auto-insert notification on and autoplay enabled.

Archived