Making Disks of the Backup Set for Disaster Recovery

Bare with me because I'm a new user of Retrospect! I have made a Disaster Recovery Disk but am confused by the instructions on how to prepare for the Disaster Recovery process. In order to begin the process, the instructions say to have the Disaster Recovery CD (got it) and also say to have all disks for the Backup Set. My backup set is 32.6 GB - to back that up on disks would take 8 DVDs! Do I really need to back all that up? I'm confused because later in the instructions, it says, "If the Catalog File was too large to fit on the Retrospect Disaster Recovery CD, you will be prompted to insert each member of the Backup Set. You may also update your Catalog File from the media to restore a more recent Snapshot from this Backup Set. Selecting the update option will prompt you to insert all members of your Backup Set that have been written to since the Retrospect Disaster Recovery CD was created."

Sorry, but I have no clue what that means. What is the difference between "the Catalog File" and the "Backup Set?" How do I know if what I need is all included on the Disaster Recovery CD or if I need to additional backup the "Backup Set" on other disks?

OK, but I think I'm going to have to *bare* without you. My wife would object... :-)

I think you need to reread the DR process. The DR CD is a special CD that allows you to boot your machine and install a minimal OS. At phase 1, it doesn't have any of the data from your backup set. You use Retrospect and "feed" the process your backup set and you can restore the entire HD and data with the data and state it was in when the backup file was created.

You should also be able to restore the set from a non-DVD (e.g. another harddrive) once you've got the DR process started, so you don't *have* to move it all to DVDs and then feed it back to the machine. I've given up on CDs and DVDs byself since they're too small and too slow and too manual.

The "Catalog File was too large to fit on the Retrospect Disaster Recovery CD" refers to Retrospect rebuilding the catalog file from the data backup set. You can also do this from a Disk backup set saved to a HD *or* a file backup set (which includes the Catalog within the File backup).

Thank you for the response. I think I'll follow your advice and just stick with having the Backup Set on another HD rather than trying to work with disks. But when the instructions say, "You will be prompted to insert each member of the backup set," it sounds like disks are the only option.

Thanks!

If you've saved to a harddrive as a Disk backup, all the "little disks" (650M or so files) are sitting on that harddrive. So you won't be prompted for each member of the disk because Retrospect wil be able to find all the members of the backup set in that one location.

Archived