Problems with Sony Tape Library (Mac OSX)

We have a Sony TSL-9000 8 tape library running via SCSI on a G-4 (Mac OS 10.3.2) for backup and archiving. We recently upgraded to Retrospect Workgroup 6.0.204, Retrospect driver 6.6.101. from Retrospect 5.1.177 (Mac OS9) on the same G-4 and same tape library. The tape library has trouble indentifing the name of dat tapes, moving the tapes to the drive, and when info being retreived is on two dat tapes, there is not a button or function to eject tape 1 and insert tape 2 to continue retreiving the info. Also, if the drive is highlighted and "Get Info" is opened, there is not a "Mag View" button or a "Disable BC" button. Does anyone have any experience with this situation?

• 1 year later...

I hate to revive old threads, but this has a lot of overlap with the situation I'm researching. I have a 200 gig backup set on DDS-2 tapes, and want to use a TSL-9000 to restore them. I've put an Adaptec 2906 card in a G4 tower, 10.4.8, Retrospect 5.0.238, and Driver Update 3.1.105 together.

Retrospect identifies the autoloader, and can read tapes. But it has one difference from being on OS 9: Under Configure: Devices, the top button on the right is a pop-up menu titled Loader, where you can choose from slots 1-8. Under OS X, it's just an eject button. I need the Loader interface to move tapes!

I've set up the same drive, Retro build, Driver update under 9 and X, and can't get the Loader interface element to appear under X. I'd restore this under 9, if it didn't just freeze at random intervals....

Configure: Devices: Device Status says

SCSI-A:4 SONY TSL-9000 version L201 Sony DAT DDS-DC (5.02)

Quote:

I've put an Adaptec 2906 card in a G4 tower, 10.4.8

That's your first problem. Adaptec abandoned the Mac as of Mac OS 10.4.x, and their drivers do not work reliably with Mac OS X Tiger. You will need to get another SCSI card; I suggest ATTO - their cards work fine for us under Mac OS 10.4, and their support is excellent. All of the backup vendors have pretty much accepted that ATTO is the SCSI card to use with Mac OS 10.4.x. I agree that it's a bit pricy, we just bit the bullet and bought one, and haven't had problems since.

Quote:

10.4.8, Retrospect 5.0.238, and Driver Update 3.1.105 together.

That's your second problem. You need Retrospect 6.1.x for Mac OS 10.4.x.

Your Adaptec SCSI card and Retrospect version were fine while you were running an older version of Mac OS X. Now that you updated your Mac OS, you need to update your version of Retrospect and your SCSI card. That's the way it is. Many people don't realize what a major upheaval Mac OS 10.4 was from 10.3; blame Apple and Adaptec, not Retrospect.

As for the other issue:

Quote:

Retrospect identifies the autoloader, and can read tapes. But it has one difference from being on OS 9: Under Configure: Devices, the top button on the right is a pop-up menu titled Loader, where you can choose from slots 1-8. Under OS X, it's just an eject button. I need the Loader interface to move tapes!

I don't know how Retrospect 5.0 is, I never ran that. But in Retrospect 6.0 and 6.1, the loader commands moved to the Devices menu. The interface seems a bit inconsistent to me, but that's the way it is and I just accept it. Maybe your missing commands are there.

Russ

You are right about 10.4 vs 10.3 and SCSI issues. I moved the Adaptec card to a 10.3.9 machine, installed Retro 5.0.238, and the expected "Loader" pop-up now appears. Good enough- I'll try this restore on 10.3.

10.4 does not demand Retrospect 6, as in my experience, it ran. I had all the expected functionality, except my autoloader was reduced to a single tape loader. It read and restored all of the first tape I fed it.

It must be a MacOS version difference that changes the behavior. Everything else is the same, and the Loader menu has now returned.

Quote:

10.4 does not demand Retrospect 6, as in my experience, it ran. I had all the expected functionality, except my autoloader was reduced to a single tape loader. It read and restored all of the first tape I fed it.

Sorry, you are misinformed. The filesystem for 10.4 adds additional metadata over 10.3, etc., that Retrospect's 6.1 version backs up and restores. If your functionality criteria for whether a backup program meets all of the requirements of an operating system release is that it doesn't crash, well, that's very different from the rest of us, who expect a backup program to back up and restore our files and associated data. Retrospect 6.1 is required for Mac OS 10.4.x.

Good luck.

Russ

Very well: a proper backup and restore of a 10.4 system requires Retrospect 6.1.

My current goal is a restore of 5 year old tapes backed up from an AppleShare IP server. My "expected functionality" in this situation was to read my tapes and bring the data back, which 10.4/Retro 5 did, (although it does have the previously discussed bug regarding the "loader" interface). 10.3/Retro 5 does the same, with the expected Loader menu restored.

Archived