Restoring with Retrospect express HD

H. Kuehl

I have a Maxtor OneTouch II 300GB external hard drive with Retrospect Express HD installed, which came with the Maxtor hard drive. This is connected to my HP Media Center computer, which is less than a year old. I have Retrospect set to back up every day at 3 PM. As far as I can tell, it is working fine. I am concerned, however, about what I should do if my computer crashes. It has never done that, but if it does, I don't think I a can carry out a restore operation based on the furnished instructions. The first step in the brief instructions for "Restoring your System" that came with the Maxtor drive states that: Prepare your hard drive. Partition, if necessary, and format. What if the computer is unresponsive? How can you partition and format? Moreover, I don't know how to partition and format even if the computer is responsive. Thus I would be lost if my computer crashes. I've seen the descriptions of the new Retrospect 7 that state that it has Wizards that guide you step-by-step through the restore operation and that it enables you to make a disaster recovery CD. It sounds like that would solve my problem. My question is: should I purchase this new version of Retrospect? If I do, does Retrospect Express HD have to be uninstalled before installing Retrospect 7?

Hkool

Archived