any actual cross-platform strategies?

So, was I just hopelessly deluded when I thought that there would be any way for me to switch between OS X and MacOS 9.x (as I must still do to use various essential hardware) and run Retrospect 5 on whichever OS happened to be running at the time in an integrated manner?

So far I've run into two different quandaries in two different situations. the first and most essential issue seems to be the sharing of information about what is going on in a backup set. I had a script backing up to a certain tape set in 9, and then tried to start one up in X using the same set. Even though I showed it the file on disk that saves the info about members and contents, and it seemed happy enough to use it, it didn't seem to care about its contents enough, and wanted to back everything up all over again. Is there any way to get an incremental backup despite what operating system happens to be going at the time? In this case this is not a client machine (at the moment), but the computer running Retrospect.

The other related problem in a different situation has to do with an OS X client that has Classic running. If they both have a client installed, it seems like Retrospect is going to think it is two different machines and back all the same files up twice. Is that correct? Isn't there any way to get Retrospect to really remember the files it has backed up, in spite of what client is looking at them?

Well, I haven't seen any responses to these sorts of questions in any of the forums or the list. So good luck! The strategy might have to be 4 backup sets: OSX->OSX, OSX->OS9, OS9->OSX, OS9->OS9. At least that might cut down on the repeat backups and make the restore strategy clearer - or will it?

Perhaps there will be a RS utility to recombine 4 restored 'identical' files (each restored under the appropriate OS's) into the fairdinkum original file /grin/

Paul (Australia, of course)

Retrospect uses several matching criteria to compare files that have already been backed up to what is about to be backed up. If one of the following has been changed at all, Retrospect will back up the file again: name, size, type, creator, creation date and time, modify date and time, and label.

If Retrospect is reporting that it is about to back up files you know have not changed since your last backup, take a closer look at a sample file. Choose a file and start a restore by search for that file. When you get to the final window (you don't actually have to do the restore), click Files Chosen and Get Info (type Command-I) on the most recent version of the file on the backup. Print or take a screenshot of this window.

Now, go to the Configure tab from the Retrospect Directory and click Volumes. Choose the volume the file is on and click Browse. Find the file in question and Get Info on it. Put the two windows side by side and look for even the slightest difference in any of the criteria I listed above.

Regarding the classic client, it should not load simultaneously with the OS X client. In any case, you should *never* back up a computer through the classic client. It can't get any OS X-specific data, and usually won't be able to get any data at all.

Archived