CD-RW/DVD Drive Compatibility

Hello all, hope you can help.

I have a Dell notebook running XP, Retrospect Express 5.6 with driver update 2.8. Dantz hardware compatibility claims that my Toshiba SDR-2102 is compatible. Retrospect sees it in the Storage Devices > Environment window. But in the Storage Devices > Status window, no drives are available. Firmware version of the drive is 1D13. Toshiba claims there are no updates. Dantz' tech support is pathetic. Can't talk to a warm body unless I pay up the nose. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Dana Rodakis

If you look under Configure > Devices > Environment, is there a driver listed for your device? If not, the RDU file is not loading.

Check your Operations Log (Ctrl+L) - look for an entry stating the "Retrospect launched..." Does the log show an entry that the RDU is loading following the application launch? If not, the RDU file is not loading.

The RDU file (RDU.rpx) needs to be placed directly in the Retrospect program folder (C:\Program Files\Dantz\Retrospect) to work correctly.

Thanks for the reply AmyC. Yes, the CD-RW/DVD drive is shown in the Configure > Devices > Environment but not in the Configure > Devices > Status. And yes, the RDU is also loading. Here's my log extract:

+ Retrospect Express version 5.6.127

Launched at 5/11/2002 6:59 PM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 2.8.111

Try reinstalling Retrospect from scratch to see if a corruption is preventing the drive from showing up.

Also, the Toshiba SD-R2102 ships with numerous versions of firmware. It is possible that not all versions are compatible with Retrospect Backup software. Dantz testing has specifically verified that firmware 1001 works.

I'm having similar problems.

I also have a Dell laptop with a Toshiba cdrw/dvd sdr2102 and I'm running Windows 2000 Professional.

In the Retrospect Environment window, it is seen and reported as 1D10. I have installed the 2.8 driver update, and it does show as loading 2.8.111 when I examine the Operations log. I am using Retrospect 5.6

However, the status window report "no backup devices found".

I have uninstalled Retrospect, rebooted and re-installed, as well as re-installing the driver update.

I don't know how to find the firmware version I have (perhaps this is the 1D10?), but neither Dell nor Toshiba's websites show any firmware upgrades for this drive.

I waited a couple of months before buying Retrospect -- when the drive I had was supported. No mention was made in the email I got from Dantz that only some firmware versions were supported... :-(

I'd sure appreciate some help! I'd much rather get this working than get a refund on my credit card.

John

john.ball@szooek.slu.se

How were you logged in when you installed Retrospect? If you are not logged in as the Administrator or a user with Administrator privileges, you will not be able to access your CD-RW drive in Windows NT/2000 in most cases.

Check to ensure that ASPI is properly installed on your system. ASPI is a communication layer between your computer and your peripherals. Your can run ASPICHK.EXE from the Retrospect program folder. If ASPI is not properly installed, you can find the most up to date installer on the Adaptec website. For more information on ASPI, please see www.adaptec.com.

1D10 is the firmware version being reported by your device.

Hi there! Thanks for posting...

I was logged in with Administrator priviledges.

I ran ASPICHK.exe and it reports no problems:

LOG0166: *****************************************************************

LOG0167: Starting ASPICHK installer on Mon Jun 20 17:25:18 2002

ASPICHK0492: OS = Windows NT (5.00.2195)

ASPICHK0499: Platform = INTEL

UPGRADE0626: c:\winnt\system32\wnaspi32.dll dated 09/10/1999 11:06:00, 45056 bytes.

UPGRADE0687: c:\winnt\system32\wnaspi32.dll version 4.6.0.1021

UPGRADE0626: c:\winnt\system\winaspi.dll dated 09/10/1999 11:06:00, 5600 bytes.

UPGRADE0687: c:\winnt\system\winaspi.dll version 4.6.0.1021

UPGRADE0626: c:\winnt\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys dated 09/10/1999 11:06:00, 25244 bytes.

UPGRADE0687: c:\winnt\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys version 4.6.0.1021

UPGRADE0626: c:\winnt\system\wowpost.exe dated 09/10/1999 11:06:00, 4672 bytes.

UPGRADE0687: c:\winnt\system\wowpost.exe version 4.6.0.1021

ASPICHK0639: ASPI is properly installed and is fully operational. A total of 2 host adapters have been detected.

LOG0249: Closing installer log on Mon Jun 20 17:25:18 2002

LOG0250: *****************************************************************

Thanks for letter me know the 1D10 is the firmware version -- I suspected that but wasn't sure.

What can I try next? I really do appreciate your help with this!

John Ball

john.ball@szooek.slu.se

Archived