firewire scsi adapter?

I have an "out-of-the-box" beige G3 and a SCSI VXA-1 drive. I learned from elsewhere on the forum that this configuration won't work with Retrospect 5 under OS X (after a week of frustration). I'll be getting a new Mac in a year or two, so I thought instead of getting my money back for Retrospect 5 maybe I should just get a a firewire-scsi adapter (so I can use the drive easily with a new machine) and a firewire pci card (so I can use it now). I know that Dantz doesn't officially support firewire adapters, which I can understand. Nonetheless, do people have positive experiences with any particular firewire-scsi adapter? I know that the first firewire VXA-1 drives were really scsci drives with a firewire adapter, but I don't know the manufacturer of the adapter. If there are any cautions about firewire pci cards, I'd be delighted to know that as well.

Thanks,

Steve Buyske

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone interested, I ended up with the Microtech SCSI-Firewire bridge, as I discovered that Ecrix at least originally used a bridge by Microtech for its first Firewire VXA-1 drive. I've had no problems at all (knock on wood) over 5 backup cycles.

Steve Buyske

Archived