Dyna MO 1300 FE Problem

Hello all,

I had my internal HD of my G4 Cube to die. frown.gif I have not been able to get my HD restored yet! frown.giffrown.gif I have found two problems so far. 1) After Retrospect had deleted the files that needed to be replaced, my MO disks would not be recognized by the Computer. frown.gif Re-install everything. Try again. 2) Retrospect told me that the device was busy (at the same point). frown.gif Re-install everthing. Betweeen 1 and 2 I had write protected the disks. That is what is causing the second problem. In the process of trying a third restore. I hope this one is much more successful! Dantz, the device is not busy when the disk is write protected! smile.gif

John

PS: Has anyone else tried doing a complete OS X restore with a Fujitsu MO backup? Did you get it to work? How!

Hello all,

I am definitely stumped! Retrospect does not recognize subsequent MO disks when doing the full restore. The first disk is OK. All subsequent disks are not recognized (and then the system won't boot from the partially restored backup)! HELP!

John

smile.gif

Hello again,

Removable media users beware! If you do a disk restore, Retrospect can delete some system files that will cause your second disk not to mount. I had to copy my disks to a file set backup on the hard drive. I am about 1/2 of the way through the restore and it working fine. After the restore started, I tried to insert an MO disk. It wouldn't mount. I tried it after I saw some System files replaced, and it now mounts. Dantz, you need to keep some of the files in the System folder and just replace them when you get to them! Otherwise, some removable disks will not mount! frown.gif

John

Retrospect is not deleting system files to prevent the disks from mounting. Other forum posts refer to similar problems with disks not mounting for backups, when no files are being deleted.

Dantz is aware of this and currently looking into it.

IrenaS,

I know you are not deleting file to keep the disks from mounting. I still believe (from what I have witnessed) that deleting some of the Kernel Extensions is what is keeping the disks from mounting. You delete the "obsolete" files. When the disk is unmounted, the system unlinks the dynamic module. When the system next tries to mount, oops, no extension to load and no mount! This is consistent with the disk mounts before deletes, doesn't mount part of the way through, and will mount again later. smile.gif

John

Archived