Retrospect 7 Server big problem...

I just received 7.0 server, and installed it on a brand new Dell PowerEdge 1800, with a SATA RAID card (6ch), using 6 250gb SATA drives in a raid 5; it also has the remote access controller for serial console redirection.

Here's the problem: Retrospect installs fine, but when started, it seems to hang, and takes about 4 minutes to get to the initial registration screen to input the license code. After that, it runs fine; installing on any other machine (all WinXPsp2, server is Win2003standard), it runs fine. The tech support guy said that it's having a problem writing the one of the config70 files. The server seems to not be able to write the Config70.bak file to the \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect folder for some reason; it writes fine on all the other machines doing a test install. I have reconfigured the raid so the main partition that Retrospect resides on is on a different set of disks; have even removed the raid all together, and booted off the motherboard, and still no dice. Copying a config70.bak from another machine after doing the exact same steps does not alleviate the problem.

Anyone care to take a stab?

Thanks,

Russ

I just figured out that the DRAC (dell remote access controller) installs itself in numerous ways, including a new IDE controller, PCI to PCI bridge, etc etc; these seem to interfere with Retrospect running normally, almost as if it is looking for the drives on the wrong channel; even with the drivers disabled for the DRAC, retrospect refuses to run normally. Just a heads up for anyone using retrospect and considering a DRAC.

Russ

sorry, another update if anyone else has run into this problem:

if you go into device manager, you can disable the ide controller associated with the DRAC. it's a virtual one that allows the use of virtual media on the remote end (floppy or cd). if you can deal without it, you can turn it off, and retrospect will work perfectly fine.

russ

Archived