Unable to Duplicate to multiple DVD-Ram Disks

I purchased R 5.0 specifically to use on a Titanium Power Book running 9.2.2 connected by firewire to a LaCie DVD-RAM drive. As a test, I tried duplicating 9 G onto two disks. (for my own purposes, I want two 4.7 disks in sequence rather than using a single 9.4 disk.) The first disk went ok, though very slow, maxing out at 25 Mb and spending most of the time at 12 Mb. When I inserted the second disk, I got an 'erasing' message from R 5.0 that stayed on all night long, with no progress. The disk, a TDK DVD-Ram, was already formatted as a universal. The same thing happened with a LaCie disk.

How do I convince R 5.0 to proceed onto the second or following disks?

As a test, I tried duplicating 9 G onto two disks. (for my own purposes, I want two 4.7 disks in sequence rather than using a single 9.4 disk.)

How did you get Retrospect to attempt a duplicate to multiple volumes? By definition, Duplicate takes the full contents of one volume and writes it to another; spanning removable media is only done in Backups.

I'm confused.

Dave

I didn't realize that there was a disk write limitation in Duplicate. Are you certain? That would really be the pits, in that I've spent $600 just to do that very thing. I've looked through the User's Manual and don't see it addressed either way.

Is there any way of moving a lot of data onto multiple DVD-RAM or DVD-Rs in OS Finder format? Thanks

Archived