On a G3 "PISMO" PB running 10.1.4, Restrospect5 for Workgroup and Desktop refuses to back up to an external FireWire drive [yes, I formatted with 10's Drive Utility], offering the following log [attempt #1 included RS5 for WG/attempt #2 included RS5 for DT]:

? Retrospect version 5.0.201

launched at 5/5/2002 12:39 PM

Quit at 5/5/2002 12:40 PM

? Retrospect version 5.0.201

launched at 5/5/2002 1:50 PM

+ Executing Immediate Duplicate at 5/5/2002 1:57 PM

- 5/5/2002 1:57:45 PM: Copying Aqua…

Can't write file “cores”, error -1 (unknown), path: “Aqua/cores”.

Can't write file “etc”, error -1 (unknown), path: “Aqua/etc”.

Can't write file “mach”, error -1 (unknown), path: “Aqua/mach”.

Can't write file “tmp”, error -1 (unknown), path: “Aqua/tmp”.

Can't write file “var”, error -1 (unknown), path: “Aqua/var”.

Can't write file “Example Scripts”, error -1 (unknown), path: “Aqua/Applications/AppleScript/Example Scripts”.

Can't write file “DVDPlayback”, error -1 (unknown), path: “Aqua/Applications/DVD Player.app/Contents/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/DVDPlayback”.

Can't write file “Resources”, error -1 (unknown), path: “Aqua/Applications/DVD Player.app/Contents/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Resources”.

Can't write file “Current”, error -1 (unknown), path: “Aqua/Applications/DVD Player.app/Contents/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Versions/Current”.

Can't write file “InternetConnect.scriptTerminology”, error -37 (invalid name), path: “Aqua/Applications/Internet Connect.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InternetConnect.scriptTerminology”.

Trouble writing files, error -37 (invalid name).

5/5/2002 2:04:05 PM: Execution incomplete.

Remaining: 46444 files, 4.1 GB

Completed: 8502 files, 439.5 MB

Performance: 69.7 MB/minute

Duration: 00:06:20 (00:00:02 idle/loading/preparing)

+ Executing Immediate Backup at 5/5/2002 2:21 PM

To backup set Backup Set A…

- 5/5/2002 2:21:41 PM: Copying Aqua…

* Separating file backup set:

Data file name: Backup Set A

Catalog file name: Backup Set A.cat

Can't add that much data to backup set.

The limit is 2.0 G.

5/5/2002 2:21:56 PM: Execution incomplete.

Remaining: 54946 files, 4.5 GB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:15 (00:00:11 idle/loading/preparing)

In the past, I used RS Express and thoroughly enjoyed its reliability. With WG and DT, I'm extremely frustrated. Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated,

Mike

In the past, I used RS Express and thoroughly enjoyed its reliability. With WG and DT, I'm extremely frustrated.

Yes, but that was under Mac OS 7/8/9; things are pretty different here in the OSX world...

Note that the Desktop and Workgroup editions of Retrospect are the same software, only the license codes are different.

Your first example is a Duplicate, and it gets some files done. And the error about not being able to write files leads be to suspect that it couldn't write files (!). Which would prompt me to suspect the physical destination, the FireWire drive. You don't give specific information regarding your hardware (I continue to be amazed that posters here don't do that every time...), but that may be your problem.

Perhaps try some test duplicates of smaller defined volumes (both Source and Destination). Try some Finder copies and see if they work.

Your second example is a File Backup. The error you show (Can't add that much data to backup set.

The limit is 2.0 G.) is the error you get when the Destination volume is formatted as HFS and not HFS+

When you use Disk Utility to erase the Destination make sure it's set for Mac OS Extended. That might be the cause of both problems.

Dave

Archived