I'm using Retrospect 5 workgroup to do a duplicate of my local users folders to a remote Windows server.

The backup runs along fairly well, but I get errors like these in the log:

Can't write file “Finding OS X Retro client troubleshooting”, error -37 (invalid name), path: “Users/todd/Desktop/Finding OS X Retro client troubleshooting”

After 11 errors pop up, the backups quits. These are valid file paths with existing files. What problem is Retrospect having that it can't find them?

TIA.

Todd

Is the remote Windows server a Retrospect client machine?

No.

If not, are you using Retrospect to correctly mount the AFP volume (as stated numerous times on this forum)?

Well, I've been haunting the forum and the mailing list for awhile now and never seen it come up as a major topic. I've configured the volume to mount automatically as guest. A large amount of data gets copied no problem during the dupe operation.

I see the same files failing every time I run the script. Most of them are .plists for a second user, ones that have been recently accessed. Another is a text file on my desktop. Eleven failures and the backup quits.

I'm thinking Retrospect is failing to run as root or something like that (wild-guess department).

I don't see why the win-server has any relationship with this. It's just a mounted volume. These are all read-failures, not write-failures.

In reply to:

Well, I've been haunting the forum and the mailing list for awhile now and never seen it come up as a major topic. I've configured the volume to mount automatically as guest. A large amount of data gets copied no problem during the dupe operation.

Try searching this board for the phrase "AFP Volume." I've posted the steps necessary to configure Retrospect to properly write data to an AFP volume.

In reply to:

I'm thinking Retrospect is failing to run as root or something like that (wild-guess department).

Retrospect always runs as a root process. And that is the cause of the problem.

In reply to:

I don't see why the win-server has any relationship with this. It's just a mounted volume. These are all read-failures, not write-failures.

Ah. Well, I suppose my confusion stemmed from your posting of the relevant log entry:

Can't write file “Finding OS X Retro client troubleshooting”, error -37 (invalid name)...” color=orange>

Okay, even though it's a write error, the log entry refers to the local drive path to the file, not the remote one. That's why I think of it as a read error.

My remote volume is configured to mount automatically. I've reconfigured it just to make sure and the error still happens...the same set of files that stop the duplicate when they get to 11 errors.

The log error I've been posting refers to the file 'Finding OS X Retro client troubleshooting' which is on the desktop. If I rename this file, it doesn't give any problems.

I notice all the files that give errors have fairly long names. Is it possible this is a long-file name problem? It occurs during duplicates to both an ASIP and win2k server, but not with local duplicates.

In reply to:

Is it possible this is a long-file name problem? It occurs during duplicates to both an ASIP and win2k server, but not with local duplicates

It looks as if it is.

But it looks as if it's not a Dantz issue.

Here's my test:

1-Mount ASIP volume from 6.3.3 server (Mac OS 9.1, volume formatted as HFS Extended) on Mac OS X 10.1.4 Desktop

2- From Retrospect's Volume Database window (Configure->Volumes) select the file server volume and select "Configure" from the Volume menu

3- Provide Retrospect with the server password

4- Unmount the server volume from the Finder

5- Remount the server volume from Retrospect's Volume Database (select the grey icon and click either Subvolume or Browse)

6- Attempt a duplicate of long file names from OS X to a defined folder on the server.

7- Note the -37 error in the log (invalid name)

Now, unmount the server volume, and remount from the Finder (as in step 1 above).

Attempt to drag copy the same files from the OS X machine to the mounted server volume.

Note the same -37 error from the Finder

So Retrospect can't do this using AFP, and neither can the Finder.

But, using the Retrospect Client on the ASIP server I _was_ able to successfully duplicate the files from OS X to the server, which would probably work using a Windows client too.

Dave

Well, that makes a certain kind of sense. I have an identical setup as yours. The ASIP dupe using the client instead of mounted volume went successfully. The win2k server with client gave me the following errors:

File “.DS_Store”: different type (src: ????, dest: TEXT), path: “temp/.DS_Store”.

File “222”: different creator (src: text, dest: dosa), path: “temp/222”.

File “finding mac os x client”: different creator (src: text, dest: dosa), path: “temp/finding mac os x client”.

Can't read file “Temp. sensor/MRTG on OS X”, error -37 (invalid name), path: “temp/Temp. sensor/MRTG on OS X”.

There are just three visible files in the folder, so it failed on all of them. Maybe that's a permissions error under win2k.

I tried copying the folder back to the OSX Retro server via the win2k client and got this:

5/7/2002 8:43:34 PM: Connected to WINSERV

While scanning volume New Volume,

Warning: This client is running Services for Macintosh.

Mount Macintosh-accessible volumes on the Desktop for proper operation.

Can't read file “Temp. sensor-MRTG on OS X”, error -37 (invalid name), path: “temp\Temp. sensor-MRTG on OS X”.

I'm going to keep playing with this to see if it can work on the winbox. My initial purpose was to get some work-arounds for Dantz' new 1 server policy on workgroup. A lot of the people I work with have 2, 3, or 4 systems and maybe just want their docs backed up regularly. Mix in an OS X machine, plus everyone is running file sharing...how are you going to do this with mounted servers on Retrospect if it bombs on long file names whatever the root cause?

Archived