Need external CD compatible with Retro

My old LaCie writer has died. My G5's internal DVD/CD SuperDrive is apparently not compatible with Retrospect.

Can anyone recommend to me an external Firewire CD writer that is known to be compatible with Retrospect? There's so much incompatibility, and I can hardly make heads or tails of Dantz's list of compatible devices. I was about to order a LaCie that I thought was compatible when I saw that Dantz's list says "LaCie d2 CD-RW 52x24x52" and the one I was about to order is "LaCie d2 CD-RW 52x32x52" -- so that one is probably not compatible.

I've been using Retrospect for a long time, and I like it -- particularly for its ability to do incremental backups to external media like CDs -- but this incompatibility problem is ridiculous. I've wasted far too many CDs and DVDs trying to get Retrospect to work with my internal SuperDrive, and I don't want to waste any more. I just want to get an external Firewire CD writer that will work with Retrospect, but I'm afraid to buy one because I'm sure it will turn out to be incompatible. I might have to start looking for an alternative backup program if I can't find an appropriate drive.

Thanks for any help or information.

Archived