Multiplatform backup solution?

I've got a school network with OS X Server, Linux, Windows NT and Windows 2000 servers. I'm currently backing all this up on the WinNT server using Veritas, and either manually copying or running copy scripts from the other servers to dump files onto the NT server nightly.

I'm thinking of dropping the NT server (converting it to Linux--it has RAID and other goodies) over the summer if I can get OS X Server to fulfill all my file sharing requirements for my Mac clients. My question is which machine to put my ADR tape onto and which machine to put my backup software (Dantz, open source, or Veritas).

Can Retrospect running on OS X Server (still in preview) "see" the files on my other servers (especially the Win2K server) and pull them in (and at what extra cost)? Or is it better to get an open source backup solution (free) and share the OS X Server files to it via NFS and/or Samba? I guess the UI and controls on Retrospect are pretty good...

I've been in your shoes, man. I am not really suggesting anything, but from what I found - open source backup solutions do not quite do the same job as proprietary ones. Usually, you need to be able to have one backup span several tapes or put several backups on the same tape - open source utilities don't do either. I think, that Retrospect for Linux would be the ideal solution, but (in its absence) the version for Mac OS X comes pretty close second.

Archived