maxtor locked drives

sandra lee

I am a new user of a Maxtor One Touch 1.01.0020 external hard drive using Retrospect Express HD 1.00.196. Somehow the drive has gotten locked, on the control panel it shows as being locked, if I right click the maxtor icon it has an option to unlock drive but this does not work. If trying to set up a back up it shows the e drive as unconnected. I have checked all connections, they look ok.

I am using a Dell 8600 inspiron laptop with windows XP. The hard drive did work when first installed and this lock problem occurred about two weeks later. I have no earthly idea how it got locked.

I hope someone can help. Sandra

I have the EXACT same setup. It appears that the Maxtor one-touch II drive needs to be powered off/on after you restart or reboot the laptop (if the drive was already ON). Then Windows XP will find the drive. I complained to Maxtor about this "feature" but they said it was due to an issue with Windows XP. However I have plenty of USB devlices that do not need to be restarted after a reboot of Windows - so I am a little skeptical that the issue is not with the actual HD. Anyone else have commentary on this?

Archived