Decertifying drive

We have not removed support for drives in 5.0 if you are running under OS 9.

The devices that we list as unsupported are unsupported by Mac OS X, thus Retrospect can't write to them under OS X.

If you keep your backup system on an OS 9 machine, you don't lose any device support. Upgrading your operating system, though, will require you to check that the hardware you want to use is compatible, especially with all the changes and challenges presented by OS X.

I need to correct my original post. When I hooked my drive up after installing Retrospect 5, it reported "unknown drive". I looked it up on the dantz site and the drive was listed as not supported. This drive was previously recognized under R4.2. Naturally, I assumed my drive was no longer supported under R5. When I got IrenaS's reply (above), I hooked my drive up again; this time it was recognized. Go figure. At any rate, I'm glad I saved 70 bucks. (How they can justify charging someone that much for a simple question like this is beyond me.)

Incidently, IrenaS, the site says "see which devices Dantz Retrospect Backup supports." There's no mention of operating system, and it certainly doesn't explain that drives listed as unsupported may be supported under 0S9 but not OS X.

Archived