Jobs running out of order in some cases

vksmjones

I have 3 scripts (all backup to the same set) that are scheduled to run at 1am, 2am and 3am. If the 1am job finishes after the start time of both the 2am and 3am jobs, then sometimes the 2am and 3am jobs will run in order, but other times they won't run in order.

For example, the 1am job runs until 7am on Wednesday. When the 1am job is finished, the 3am starts. When the 3am job is finished, the 2am job starts. It runs the same way on Thursday, but on Friday it runs in the correct order. On Friday, when the 1am job is finished, the 2am job starts followed by the 3am job.

I have a total of 4 backup sets and this is happening on the 2 sets whose 1am job runs beyond the start time of the next 2 jobs. It never happens on the 2 sets whose 1am job is finished before the start time of the 3am job.

Check the start/stop/wrap-up time for each script *and* under the global Preferences. See if any of these are set in an unexpected way, and minimize the black-out periods. Also, I assume you're running a single Execution Unit (e.g. set that way or aren't running a version of Retro that allows multiple [parallel] execution units). Also2, which version (6.x, 7.x) of Retrospect are you running?

Quote:

Check the start/stop/wrap-up time for each script *and* under the global Preferences. See if any of these are set in an unexpected way, and minimize the black-out periods. Also, I assume you're running a single Execution Unit (e.g. set that way or aren't running a version of Retro that allows multiple [parallel] execution units). Also2, which version (6.x, 7.x) of Retrospect are you running?

I'm running v7, Multi Server value package with 2 libraries and 4 drives with up to 4 execution units running at the same time (8 are available, but I'm only backing up to 4 sets at once).

Under configure, preferences, weekly schedule, When is execution allowed? Always. Start is 12:00am, Wrap up is 00:00, stop is 12:00am. This is the same for each script also. The only options set for each script are 'Verification off, match only files in same location'. Each script is set to use any execution unit.

Quote:

Are those four jobs set to a particular execution unit or "Any execution unit?" If you want them to run sequentially, they'd need to be assigned to the same fixed execution unit (bottom left corner of each Proactive setup).

They are set to 'Any execution unit'. I thought that since we can't have more than 1 script backing up to a backup set at a time, then the scripts backing up to the same backup set should run in order as scheduled. I have now set the scripts within the same backup sets to use the same execution unit. So the 3 scripts in backup set 1 use execution unit 1, the 3 scripts in backup set 2 use execution unit 2, and so on.

I'll monitor the op log to see if this consistently runs the jobs in the correct order.

You're right regarding the fact that Retro won't run more than one script at at time if multiple scripts are backing up to the same set (I lost track of that statement from the beginning of the thread). So this may be red herring, but since you've already made the change (forcing all scripts sharing a backupt set to use the same execution unit) it's a worthwhile test (may suggest a Retro7 bug?).

They ran in the correct order today. If the jobs continue to run correctly for the rest of the week, I will consider this problem solved. BUT I do think this is a bug in that Retrospect is ignoring the schedule on backup jobs going to the same set.

Thanks

Archived